London Designers Create Unique Car-Powered Aquaponics Urban Farm that Grows Vegetables
A world first eco+arts+design project, stemming from a sustainability partnership between Hyundai, designers Something & Son and London’s Design Museum.
This week Hyundai unveiled a unique piece of design theatre to educate people about the real-life benefits of hydrogen fuel cell technology. Deputy Mayor of London, Kit Malthouse, showed his support for the project by opening the Hyundai Fuel Cell Farm – the world’s first aquaponics ecosystem powered by Hyundai Motor’s zero-emission ix35 Fuel Cell. The Fuel Cell Farm was positioned outside the front of the Design Museum in London.
To design and create the installation, Hyundai Motor UK collaborated with highly- acclaimed sustainability creatives, Something & Son. This design practice is rooted in a long history of British inquisitiveness and experimentation, applied to the creation of a more sustainable world.
Aquaponics is a sustainable farming solution; a combination of hydroponics (growing plants in water) and aquaculture (raising fish in tanks). The Fuel Cell Farm operates by taking the water emitted by the hydrogen-powered Hyundai ix35 Fuel Cell and filtering this water into the fish tank. The aquaponics technology then harnesses minerals from the fish waste to grow the plants on the farm.
Essentially the Hyundai ix35 Fuel Cell, which is the world’s first production fuel cell vehicle, is the heartbeat to the lifecycle of the installation. It powers and facilitates the functionality of the aquaponics farm, using clean emissions (only water) to fuel sustainable agriculture.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- “Porn Fashions”: Obscenely Tasteless Apparel From 1980s Adult Magazines
- The Lost Corvettes: 36 Chevrolet Corvettes From NYC Barn Find To Be Raffled In Charity Sweepstakes
- Photographer Emily Lauren Wants To Change The Way We See Female Beauty
- 2020 Miss Mexico Contestants Compete In Traditional Outfits And They Are Amazing
- Guy Shows Off His Amazing World War II Cover Up Tattoo
- Stunning Photographs of Ellen O’Neal, The Greatest Woman Freestyle Skateboarder in the 1970s
- The Winners of the Luminar Bug Photography Awards 2020 Have Just Been Announced
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Hungarian Artist Creates Hilarious Scenes By Placing Characters In Movies Or TV Shows They Don’t Belong In
- The Photographer Took Dark and Gloomy Photos of A Small Russian City Covered with Morning Fog