Father And Son Convert Old School Bus Into Mobile Tiny Home For Cross-Country Road Trip
Patrick Schmidt quit his job, bought a 1990 school bus from a California church, and aimed to create a skoolie: a school bus that’s revamped for non-school purposes. When he first bought the bus in March, he decided to name it “Big Blue” and then drove it to his parents’ Las Vegas home.
With help from his dad, Schmidt tirelessly worked to transform Big Blue into a mobile tiny home. After removing the roof, the interior, and changing the insulation, the father-son duo installed solar panels, a bed, kitchen, dining area, toilet, and air conditioner by reusing and recycling as much as possible. In August, Big Blue was complete and ready to transport Schmidt on his 10,000-mile road trip spanning 30 states
Despite downsizing, the skoolie enthusiast has had an incredible couple of months filled with adventure.
“My plans are to stay in Florida until March, then most likely find my way back slowly to Vegas, and up to Seattle to live again for a while. Find some land to park on,” Schmidt told Metro, when discussing his future plans. “That’s kind of the life I’ve imagined for myself. Ride around, travel, find temporary work, and see where to go from there.”
Scroll down to see Big Blue’s transformation and Schmidt’s ensuing journey.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Beautiful Photos of Jane Birkin at Home Taken by Jean-Claude Deutsch in 1971
- How Male Beauty Standards Have Changed Over 100 Years
- Photographer Captures Couples Who Switch Outfits, and the Results Are Hilarious
- War And Peace: New Powerful Illustrations By Gunduz Aghayev
- Russian Artist Draw Interesting Pupils Of The Eyes, Here Are 11 Of Them
- Stunning Winners Of The One Eyeland World’s Top Wedding Photographers 2021
- Winning Photographs Of The Urban Photo Awards 2021
- Amazing Vintage Photos Of The Grateful Dead’s Wall Of Sound, 1974
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Stunning Photos Of Volkswagen Beetle Rat Rods With Patina Look On The Streets