Father And Son Convert Old School Bus Into Mobile Tiny Home For Cross-Country Road Trip
Patrick Schmidt quit his job, bought a 1990 school bus from a California church, and aimed to create a skoolie: a school bus that’s revamped for non-school purposes. When he first bought the bus in March, he decided to name it “Big Blue” and then drove it to his parents’ Las Vegas home.
With help from his dad, Schmidt tirelessly worked to transform Big Blue into a mobile tiny home. After removing the roof, the interior, and changing the insulation, the father-son duo installed solar panels, a bed, kitchen, dining area, toilet, and air conditioner by reusing and recycling as much as possible. In August, Big Blue was complete and ready to transport Schmidt on his 10,000-mile road trip spanning 30 states
Despite downsizing, the skoolie enthusiast has had an incredible couple of months filled with adventure.
“My plans are to stay in Florida until March, then most likely find my way back slowly to Vegas, and up to Seattle to live again for a while. Find some land to park on,” Schmidt told Metro, when discussing his future plans. “That’s kind of the life I’ve imagined for myself. Ride around, travel, find temporary work, and see where to go from there.”
Scroll down to see Big Blue’s transformation and Schmidt’s ensuing journey.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- This House Is Currently Listed for $828K In Queens, NY Right Now
- American Radiator Building – The Most Beautiful Skyscraper Of Art Deco Era
- Amazing Photographs Of Carrie Fisher On A Fire Escape In New York City, 1977
- David Bowie And His Ex-Wife Angie Taking Their Then 3-Week-Old Baby Zowie Out For A Walk In 1971
- The Crotch Cannon: A More Natural Way To Perform A Snow Job
- Russian Couple Build Pyramid Of Giza Replica In Their Rural Backyard
- 1939 Pontiac Plexiglas “Ghost Car”: The First Full-Sized “See-Thru” Car Ever Made In America
- This Unbelievable 1959 Curtiss-Wright Model 2500 Air-Car
- Bodies Of Strange Creatures Were Found In The Basement Of An Old House In London
- 80-Year-Old Man Masters Excel To Create Amazing Paintings