Father And Son Convert Old School Bus Into Mobile Tiny Home For Cross-Country Road Trip
Patrick Schmidt quit his job, bought a 1990 school bus from a California church, and aimed to create a skoolie: a school bus that’s revamped for non-school purposes. When he first bought the bus in March, he decided to name it “Big Blue” and then drove it to his parents’ Las Vegas home.
With help from his dad, Schmidt tirelessly worked to transform Big Blue into a mobile tiny home. After removing the roof, the interior, and changing the insulation, the father-son duo installed solar panels, a bed, kitchen, dining area, toilet, and air conditioner by reusing and recycling as much as possible. In August, Big Blue was complete and ready to transport Schmidt on his 10,000-mile road trip spanning 30 states
Despite downsizing, the skoolie enthusiast has had an incredible couple of months filled with adventure.
“My plans are to stay in Florida until March, then most likely find my way back slowly to Vegas, and up to Seattle to live again for a while. Find some land to park on,” Schmidt told Metro, when discussing his future plans. “That’s kind of the life I’ve imagined for myself. Ride around, travel, find temporary work, and see where to go from there.”
Scroll down to see Big Blue’s transformation and Schmidt’s ensuing journey.
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- Asian Drivers Are Using Terrifying Reflective Decals On Rear Windows To Fight Against High-Beam Users
- Panoramic Photos That Went Horribly Wrong
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images
- Famous Classic Album Covers Mashed Up With Star Wars Characters
- “Youth Gone Wild”: Stunning Photos Of The Russian Underground Dance Culture
- A Photographer Travels Across India To Show How Beautiful And Diverse Local People Are, And We’re Mesmerized
- Japanese Photographer Captures Very Sad Stray Cats And Their Games
- These Men’s Underwear Create A New Level In Bad Taste!
- These Photos Were Taken At Burning Man Festivals On Three Different Continents Show How Different They Are
- Lexus UX Crossover Gets Tyre Inspired By Nike Air Force 1 Shoes