Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
David Hamilton (1933–2016) was a British photographer, who grew up in London. His schooling was interrupted by World War II. As an evacuee, he spent some time in the countryside of Dorset, which inspired his work. After the war, Hamilton returned to London and finished school before moving to France where he has lived ever since.
His artistic skills began to emerge during a job at an architect’s office. At age 20, he moved to Paris, where he worked as graphic designer for Peter Knapp of ELLE magazine. After becoming known and successful, he was hired away from ELLE by Queen magazine in London as art director. Hamilton soon returned to Paris and there became the art director of Printemps, the city’s largest department store. Hamilton began photographing commercially while still employed, and the dreamy, grainy style of his images quickly brought him success.
His photographs were in demand by other magazines such as Realites, Twen and Photo. By the end of the 1960s, Hamilton’s work had a recognizable style. His further success included many dozens of photographic books with combined sales well into the millions, five feature films, countless magazine publishings and scores of museum and gallery exhibitions.
As much of Hamilton’s work depicts early-teen girls, often nude, he has been the subject of some controversy and even child pornography allegations. Hamilton’s photographs have long been at the forefront of the “is it art or pornography?” debate.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Amazing Vintage Photos Of Badass Women Riding Their Choppers
- Amazing Vintage Photos Of Portuguese Women From The Azores Islands In Their Tradition Hooded Capes
- Someone Found An Old Photo Album Full Of Pics Of This Woman And Hollywood Celebrities In A Thrift Shop
- Rare Photos Of Melania Trump As A Model At 16-Years-Old In Slovenia
- The Story Of The Wind And The Sea: Latvia-Based Vietnamese Artist Perfectly Illustrates Baltic Tales And Legends
- Japanese Artist Turns Awkward Animal Photos Into Beautiful Sculptures
- Closer Than We Think: 40 Visions Of The Future World According To Arthur Radebaugh
- Walmart Keeps Posting Pictures of This Employee Posing With Stuff, She Goes Viral
- Stunning Photos From The Bosch Parade, The Sailing Parade In The Spirit Of Jheronimus Bosch
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers