A Giant Headless Buddha Statue Discovered Under a Residential Complex in China
A 9-meter-high Buddha statue without a head was recently discovered in a residential complex in Chongqing of southwest China. Surrounded by tall buildings, the statue was covered by vegetation, with a residential structure built on top of it. Most residents were unaware of it until the vegetation was removed due to a reconstruction of the building’s external wall.
The headless statue is in sitting position with two hands on abdomen and a badly damaged left foot.
“The statue was here when I was young,” said a 60-year-old resident. “There was a head on it but was later damaged.”
Another resident surnamed Yang who has lived in the complex for many years said there was also a temple near the statue many years ago, but it was demolished when residential buildings were built there in the 1980s.
“I heard the Buddha statue was built nearly a thousand year ago,” said Yang.
The local authority of cultural relics has launched an investigation into the statue.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- The ’80s Hairdos: One of the Sexiest Hairstyles of All Time
- These Photorealistic Renders Look Like Real Photos Taken with An Old Camera
- As The Standard Of The World Turns: Lovely Photos Of 1965 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
- Blackout Tattoos Are A Bold New Trend Popping Up Around The World
- Spectacular Winning Images of The 2021 World Press Photo Contest
- Beautiful Photos of Sakura Blooming in Japan by Hidenobu Suzuki
- “The Closer You Are…”: Superb Emotional and Cyberpunk Illustrations by Death & Milk
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- This Artist Recreates John Wick Scenes With Miniature Figures
- Breiðamerkursandur – Iceland’s Stunning Diamond Beach