A Giant Headless Buddha Statue Discovered Under a Residential Complex in China
A 9-meter-high Buddha statue without a head was recently discovered in a residential complex in Chongqing of southwest China. Surrounded by tall buildings, the statue was covered by vegetation, with a residential structure built on top of it. Most residents were unaware of it until the vegetation was removed due to a reconstruction of the building’s external wall.
The headless statue is in sitting position with two hands on abdomen and a badly damaged left foot.
“The statue was here when I was young,” said a 60-year-old resident. “There was a head on it but was later damaged.”
Another resident surnamed Yang who has lived in the complex for many years said there was also a temple near the statue many years ago, but it was demolished when residential buildings were built there in the 1980s.
“I heard the Buddha statue was built nearly a thousand year ago,” said Yang.
The local authority of cultural relics has launched an investigation into the statue.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Funny Animal Pics That Just Don’t Make Any Sense, As Shared On This Instagram Account
- The Most Impressive Photos From The Ocean Photography Awards 2021 Finalists
- Sensual Black and White Portrait Photos of Goldie Hawn Taken by Joseph Klipple in 1964
- There’s an Atmospheric Abandoned Jurassic Park Located in the Heart of Russia
- Artist Creates Very Detailed Scary Images And The More You Look, The More Frightening They Become
- Playfully Illustrated Surfboards By Jean Jullien
- Artist Shows Us What Famous Characters Would Look Like In Real Life
- “Empty Home”: The Superb Dark, Surreal and Sci-Fi Artworks of Miko del Rosario
- 30 Thought-Provoking And Honest Illustrations About Our Lives By Stephan Schmitz
- This Artist Drew These 30 Animals So “Badly”, It Might Be A New Style