1942 ‘Time Capsule’ Apartment Discovered in Paris
This real-estate story sounds almost like a fairy tale or the beginning of a big Hollywood production.
Back in 2010 a Parisian apartment on the Right Bank, near the Opéra Garnier, left unoccupied since 1942 was discovered. It was owned by Madame de Florian – a socialite and an actress – who fled to the South of France during the second world war, leaving everything behind. She never came back to Paris but kept on paying her rent until the day she died when she was 91. It’s only after she died that someone – a Commissaire Priseur – Auctioneer – re-enter her apartment for the first time in over 70 years.
“There was a smell of old dust,” said Olivier Choppin-Janvry who made the discovery. Walking under high wooden ceilings, past an old wood stove and stone sink in the kitchen, he spotted a stuffed ostrich and a Mickey Mouse toy dating from before the war. Taxidermy pieces were commonly found throughout Mme de Florian’s apartment. It was common to have taxidermy in one’s home back in the day, in fact, having a few as home decor was a sign of affluence.
Those images are just amazing, and moving at the same time. A place left untouched and undisturbed since one of the darkest time of Paris is a rare – not to say – unseen sight.
They also found a painting by Giovanni Boldini, the subject a beautiful Frenchwoman who turned out to be the artist’s former muse, la belle Madame de Florian herself.
The expert could not find any records of the painting, until they found a card with a scribbled love note from Boldini, the painting was sold for €2.1 million, a world record for the artist.
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- Vintage Photos Proving That The Beauty Of People From Previous Generations Is A Unique Thing
- Rare Photos Of Hachiko, The World’s Most Loyal Dog
- Taiwanese Artist Creates Exquisitely Detailed Miniature Dioramas
- A Group Of Czech Students Recreate Weird And Strange Scenes From Medieval Books
- This Tattoo Artist Can’t Draw And That’s Precisely Why Her Clients Choose Her
- Belarusian Swimmer In A Potato Field Turned Out To Be A… Polish Model
- 2020 Dog Shaming Calendar Is Here!
- German Government Spends $450,000 On A Bold Cycling Safety Campaign, But Not Everyone Likes It
- 2020 Sarcastic Vintage Pictures Calendar Is Here!
- This Artist Creates Inventions That Solve Problems That Don’t Exist