1942 ‘Time Capsule’ Apartment Discovered in Paris
This real-estate story sounds almost like a fairy tale or the beginning of a big Hollywood production.
Back in 2010 a Parisian apartment on the Right Bank, near the Opéra Garnier, left unoccupied since 1942 was discovered. It was owned by Madame de Florian – a socialite and an actress – who fled to the South of France during the second world war, leaving everything behind. She never came back to Paris but kept on paying her rent until the day she died when she was 91. It’s only after she died that someone – a Commissaire Priseur – Auctioneer – re-enter her apartment for the first time in over 70 years.
“There was a smell of old dust,” said Olivier Choppin-Janvry who made the discovery. Walking under high wooden ceilings, past an old wood stove and stone sink in the kitchen, he spotted a stuffed ostrich and a Mickey Mouse toy dating from before the war. Taxidermy pieces were commonly found throughout Mme de Florian’s apartment. It was common to have taxidermy in one’s home back in the day, in fact, having a few as home decor was a sign of affluence.
Those images are just amazing, and moving at the same time. A place left untouched and undisturbed since one of the darkest time of Paris is a rare – not to say – unseen sight.
They also found a painting by Giovanni Boldini, the subject a beautiful Frenchwoman who turned out to be the artist’s former muse, la belle Madame de Florian herself.
The expert could not find any records of the painting, until they found a card with a scribbled love note from Boldini, the painting was sold for €2.1 million, a world record for the artist.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- There Is A Subway Lower Than Hell: The Superb Dark And Sinister Artworks By Vergvoktre
- Historical Photos Of The 1918 Spanish Flu That Show What A Global Pandemic Looked Like In The 1910s
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Japanese Youtuber Makes Easy DIY Face Masks That Look Surprisingly Cool
- This Extraordinary Close-Up Photos Turns Mundane Insects Into Terrifying Beasts From Another World
- Vintage Photos Of People Wearing Masks During The 1918 Influenza Pandemic, One Of The Deadliest Natural Disasters In Human History
- New Trending Summer Fun – A Pink Coffin Pool Float With Lid
- Strange And Surreal Abandoned Places From Above By Kosmaj Project
- Bored Sitting At Home? Try To Find A Cat In Each Picture!
- On The Front Line: Chinese Artists Pay Tribute To Medics In The Fight With Coronavirus Outbrake