1942 ‘Time Capsule’ Apartment Discovered in Paris
This real-estate story sounds almost like a fairy tale or the beginning of a big Hollywood production.
Back in 2010 a Parisian apartment on the Right Bank, near the Opéra Garnier, left unoccupied since 1942 was discovered. It was owned by Madame de Florian – a socialite and an actress – who fled to the South of France during the second world war, leaving everything behind. She never came back to Paris but kept on paying her rent until the day she died when she was 91. It’s only after she died that someone – a Commissaire Priseur – Auctioneer – re-enter her apartment for the first time in over 70 years.
“There was a smell of old dust,” said Olivier Choppin-Janvry who made the discovery. Walking under high wooden ceilings, past an old wood stove and stone sink in the kitchen, he spotted a stuffed ostrich and a Mickey Mouse toy dating from before the war. Taxidermy pieces were commonly found throughout Mme de Florian’s apartment. It was common to have taxidermy in one’s home back in the day, in fact, having a few as home decor was a sign of affluence.
Those images are just amazing, and moving at the same time. A place left untouched and undisturbed since one of the darkest time of Paris is a rare – not to say – unseen sight.
They also found a painting by Giovanni Boldini, the subject a beautiful Frenchwoman who turned out to be the artist’s former muse, la belle Madame de Florian herself.
The expert could not find any records of the painting, until they found a card with a scribbled love note from Boldini, the painting was sold for €2.1 million, a world record for the artist.
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Japan’s First Female Photojournalist Is Still Shooting At The Age Of 101
- Streamliners: Locomotives And Bullet Trains In The Age Of Speed And Style
- Zero Fucks Coins Allow You To Literally Give Zero Fucks
- There’s An Online Community That Makes Fun Of People Trying To Sell Mirrors
- Rare Weird And Funny Pictures Show Hilarious Side Of Victorian Era Life
- Norwegian Artist Makes ‘Pillows’ From White Marble
- Rusty 1961 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster Barn Find Sells For Staggering $800,000
- Russian Artist Illustrates What Would Happen If Famous Characters Got Old, And Thor Is Too Cute
- Remains Of An Older More Advanced Civilization Has Been Found In Russia