French Photographer Sacha Goldberger Takes Our Favorite Superheros Back In Time
Sacha Goldberger is a French photographer that recently showed this series of work in an exhibition in Paris. It takes superheros and other characters back in time to the 16th century. Check out his website and Facebook page to see his other work and more pictures from this series. Sasha tries to answer the following questions:
What if Superman was born in the sixteenth century? And what if the Hulk was a Duke? How might Van Eyck have portrayed Snow White?
Sacha’s discovery of these characters, which goes back to childhood, gave birth to a desire to re-appropriate them, to take them back to a time forming the cornerstone of modern western art. Sacha wants to confront these icons of American culture with contemporary painters of the Flemish school.
The collection demonstrates the use of 17 century techniques counterpointing light and shadow to illustrate nobility and fragility of the super powerful of all times. It also invites you to celebrate the heroes of your childhood. These characters have become icons to reveal their humanity: tired of having to save the world without respite, promised to a destiny of endless immortality, forever trapped in their character.
The superheroes often live their lives cloaked in anonymity. These portraits give them a chance to «fix» their narcissism denied. By the temporal disturbance they produce, these images allow us to discover, under the patina of time, an unexpected melancholy of those who are to be invincible.
As science fiction meets history of art, time meets an inexhaustible desire for mythology which is within each of us.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Amazing Behind the Scenes Photos of Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Terminator, 1984
- Powerful Illustrations By Japanese Artist That Will Make You Think
- Sophie Prestigiacomo’s ‘Homo Algus’ Invites Swamp Creatures Out Of The Wild
- This Artist Creates Comics Full Of Puns And Funny Twists
- Naughty NSFW Photo Series Gives A Whole New Meaning To Foodporn
- Amazing Winners Of The 2021 iPhone Photography Awards
- Hairdresser Encourages Women To Embrace Their Grey Hair Instead Of Dying It
- French Photographer Sacha Goldberger Takes Our Favorite Superheros Back In Time
- “Flowers Inside”: Absolutely Stunning Digital Concept Artworks of Denis Sheckler
- Vocklabruck Platform in the Middle of a Lake