Klein Bottle House By McBride Charles Ryan
McBride Charles Ryan mixes up sculpture and architecture for his showstopping Klein Bottle House in Rye.
This weekend house is located on heavily ti-treed sand hills adjacent the ocean beach in Rye, Australia. Its spiral configuration is a spatial device which responds to the difficult topography, it is also a figure rich in coastal allusions. By passing the spiral back through itself the house has become the mathematical concept of the Klein Bottle.
This strategy has unlocked a new series of relationships and sequential spatial experience. The ‘contents’ of the ‘bottle’ are a rectilinear platform and walls which make the abstract geometry inhabitable. A dramatic stair winds around an internal courtyard picking up the bedrooms of the house as it ascends, the journey ending in the great living room.
Externally the building is predominantly clad in cement sheeting, simultaneously recalling both folded origami, tents and the ubiquitous ‘fibro-shack’. The building is supported on a traditional timber stud frame – pushed to its physical limit.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Artist Shows Us What Famous Characters Would Look Like In Real Life
- Heart-Warming Illustrations of True Love in All Its Beauty and Joy
- “Art of The Doodler”: Fyodor Dostoevsky Draws In His Manuscripts
- The Future Imagined in Albert Robida’s “La vie électrique,” 1890
- French Artist Adds Celebrities Into Classical Paintings
- Winning Photos Of TDM Street Photography Awards 2021
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Photos of Mark Frechette and Daria Halprin During the Filming of ‘Zabriskie Point’, 1970
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Fascinating Images from the Past You Won’t Find in Any History Textbook