Beautiful Life Of Amsterdam In The 1950s Taken By Kees Scherer
Amsterdam, beautiful city built on pilings. An inexhaustible source of subject matter for innumerable photographers. Not that it’s such a megalomaniac capital – it’s more of a village with urban traditions. But it’s that smallness which often provides photography with the impact and attention it deserves.
Kees Scherer (1920-1993) was born in the Amsterdam working-class district called ‘de Jordaan’. Shortly after WWII, he began working as a freelance photographer and reached the pinnacle of photojournalism with high-profile reports about the flood disaster in the province of Zeeland (1953) and the Hungarian uprising (1956).
Scherer initiated World Press Photo in 1955 with Bram Wisman. In addition to his extensive work in colour, Scherer’s early work in black and white has also been receiving increasing attention in recent years. He depicted his favourite cities in exhaustive detail, namely Paris, New York, and especially Amsterdam.
Here below is a collection of impressive black and white photos that Scherer documented everyday life of Amsterdam in the 1950s.
- Gorgeous NSFW Female Portraits By The Russian Photographer Marat Safin
- “Dreams Of Sensuality”: Beautiful Art Nude Photography By Dani Fehr
- “Postcards From Google Earth”: This Artist Finds Strange Beauty in Google’s Apocalyptic Glitches
- Gorgeous Female Portraits By The Miami Beach Photographer Mark Del Mar
- Stunning Socialist-Era Architecture: The Brutalism Of Zagreb, Croatia
- How People With Bad Eyesight See The World When They Take Off Their Glasses
- Breathtaking Photos Of Australian Drought From Above
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- Artist Maimouna Guerresi Photographs ‘Aisha In Wonderland’
- Wax Sculpture Of Sleeping Woman Doubles As Candle
- Designer 3D Prints Famous Logos Into Items You Can Use Everyday
- Marvelous NSFW Female Portrait Photography By Darren Ankenman
- Stroyboard Artist Marty Cooper Inserts Cartoons Into Real-World Situations
- Turkish Artist Abdullah Evindar Creates Fantastic Surreal Silhouette Photo Collages
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy