Beautiful Life Of Amsterdam In The 1950s Taken By Kees Scherer
Amsterdam, beautiful city built on pilings. An inexhaustible source of subject matter for innumerable photographers. Not that it’s such a megalomaniac capital – it’s more of a village with urban traditions. But it’s that smallness which often provides photography with the impact and attention it deserves.
Kees Scherer (1920-1993) was born in the Amsterdam working-class district called ‘de Jordaan’. Shortly after WWII, he began working as a freelance photographer and reached the pinnacle of photojournalism with high-profile reports about the flood disaster in the province of Zeeland (1953) and the Hungarian uprising (1956).
Scherer initiated World Press Photo in 1955 with Bram Wisman. In addition to his extensive work in colour, Scherer’s early work in black and white has also been receiving increasing attention in recent years. He depicted his favourite cities in exhaustive detail, namely Paris, New York, and especially Amsterdam.
Here below is a collection of impressive black and white photos that Scherer documented everyday life of Amsterdam in the 1950s.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- Beautiful Underwater NSFW Photos That Redefine Women’s Beach Stereotypes
- Comedian Creates Hilarious Fake Signs, Places Them All Around Los Angeles
- Glamour And Art Nude Photography By The Belarusian Photographer Juri Sergeyev
- NSFW “French Postcards” That Will Show You How People Got Nudes Way Before The Internet
- Photographer Robert Ogilvie Perfectly Captures The Heart And Soul Of San Francisco
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Hawaii-Based Photographer And A Former Marine Makes Stunning Underwater NSFW Pictures
- Creepy And Dark Photography Of Nona Limmen, Covered With Goth, Fantasy And Metamorphosis
- “New York, By The Way”: Urban Pastel Color Photography By Ludwig Favre
- A Towering Wooden Sculpture By Daniel Popper Welcomes Beachgoers In Tulum
- Amazing Black and White Photographs Capture Scenes From Venice Beach In The 1970s And ’80s
- French Photograher Captured Stunning Pictures Of Post-Soviet Holiday Camp In Artek, Crimea
- Photographer Captures Minimal Architecture Photos Sprinkled With Tiny Humans
- The Photographer That Is Constantly Silenced And Censored By Instagram
- Meet The Playboy Bunnies Of The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia