3D Printed Cylinders Tower Over Mars Surface In Latest Design For Habitat Challenge
NASA’s 3D Printed Habitat Challenge has seen several companies competing for a high honor – to design the first habitats for humans on Mars and the moon. Using 3D printing, these competitors have proven their ability to create structures such as cones, cylinders and beams. The most recent phase of the competition takes things to a new level by asking the teams to present their ideas for entire structures. A lot of the ideas offered thus far have been low dome-like structures, some partially buried in the ground. But AI SpaceFactory, the second place winner of the most recent competition round, has something a bit different in mind.
MARSHA (MARS HAbitat), features tall, cylindrical structures that resemble elongated eggs, optimized to handle internal atmospheric pressure and structural stresses. They’re quite different from Earth dwellings, which are designed to handle mostly gravity and wind.
The ground level of each MARSHA structure has a “garage” that contains external systems and exploration activities with a supporting wet lab. Above that is the main hub, with 34 square meters of joint dry lab and kitchen. The third level has individual cabins, a sanitation pod, and a hydroponic garden. The fourth level is a recreation and exercise area and features a bright, water-filled skylight. Each building is made from two “shells” with the space between acting as a light-well. Circadian lighting is designed to recreate Earthlight.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Beautiful and Frightening: Mako Vice’s Bizarre Drawn Girls
- Funny Comics With Unexpected Endings By Scribbly G
- Shai-Hulud and Dream Worlds: Fantasy Illustrations by Marc Simonetti
- Beautiful Photos Of People’s Choice Award For Wildlife Photographer Of The Year 2021
- This Couple Decided To Take Their Engagement Photos At The Grocery Store They Shop At, And The End Result Might Make You Smile
- German Artist Shows What’s Problematic About Modern Societies In His Illustrations
- Winning Photos Of Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2021
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Dreams and Fear: The Epic Illustrations by Alexey Yegorov
- Cat Protection From Mind Control With Tin Foil Hats