‘Vertical Forest’ in Chinese Residential Complex Becomes Mosquito-Infested Jungle
The Qiyi City Forest Garden residential complex in Chengdu, China, was supposed to be a green paradise for its residents, but two years on, the vertical forest concept has turned into a nightmare.
Back in 2018, the idea of living among dozens of exotic plants proved very exciting for the people of Chengdu, one of China’s most polluted cities, and by April of 2020 all 826 units in the Qiyi City Forest Garden complex had been sold. Each unit had up to 20 types of plants growing on the balcony, and filtering the city’s air and noise pollution. However, instead of an urban paradise, the eight-tower complex looks like a scene out of a post-apocalyptic film, with balconies overrun by sprawling greenery and plagues of mosquitoes.
For reasons unknown, only 10 families have moved into the residential complex so far, which means most of the units and their allotted balcony gardens are currently unattended. Recent photos show balconies virtually swallowed up by plants, with branches hanging over balcony railings. To make matters worse, the few residents that have moved in are complaining that the unattended vertical forest has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
The current state of the Qiyi City Forest Garden complex sparked a heated debate on Chinese social media, with Hong Kong-based online publication HK01 reporting that part of the netizens find that it is a good idea to be living close to nature, while others cite safety concerns regarding the sprawling plants and the pest infestation.
Costfoto/Barcroft Media via Getty Images
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- 20 Punk Bands Of The 1980s You’ve Never Heard Of
- This Is For Real! Sahara Desert Is Witnessing Snow
- “Us and Them”: The Superb Concept Art Works by Fedor Titov
- HIBERNATION IV: Gorgeous And Intriguing Photography by Øystein Sture Aspelund
- Amazing Rare Photographs of The Romanovs’ Final Ball In Color, St Petersburg, Russia 1903
- Artist Makes Semi-Realistic Fanarts Of Pop-Culture Characters
- Deepspot: World’s Deepest Diving Pool Opened in Poland
- Behind Her Uniform: The Double Life Of Servicewomen In The Netherlands
- “I’m Not Your Toy”: The Superb Contemporary Paintings by Inga Makarova
- Woman Continues To Hilariously Recreate Celebrity Instagram Photos, And The Result Is Better Than The Original