‘Vertical Forest’ in Chinese Residential Complex Becomes Mosquito-Infested Jungle
The Qiyi City Forest Garden residential complex in Chengdu, China, was supposed to be a green paradise for its residents, but two years on, the vertical forest concept has turned into a nightmare.
Back in 2018, the idea of living among dozens of exotic plants proved very exciting for the people of Chengdu, one of China’s most polluted cities, and by April of 2020 all 826 units in the Qiyi City Forest Garden complex had been sold. Each unit had up to 20 types of plants growing on the balcony, and filtering the city’s air and noise pollution. However, instead of an urban paradise, the eight-tower complex looks like a scene out of a post-apocalyptic film, with balconies overrun by sprawling greenery and plagues of mosquitoes.
For reasons unknown, only 10 families have moved into the residential complex so far, which means most of the units and their allotted balcony gardens are currently unattended. Recent photos show balconies virtually swallowed up by plants, with branches hanging over balcony railings. To make matters worse, the few residents that have moved in are complaining that the unattended vertical forest has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
The current state of the Qiyi City Forest Garden complex sparked a heated debate on Chinese social media, with Hong Kong-based online publication HK01 reporting that part of the netizens find that it is a good idea to be living close to nature, while others cite safety concerns regarding the sprawling plants and the pest infestation.
Costfoto/Barcroft Media via Getty Images
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- This Artist Paints In A Hyperrealistic Style And Some Of Her Works Look Like Photos, While Others Look Like Dreams
- “All Our Wrong Todays”: The Colossal Worlds Of Nicolas Bouvier
- Stunning Black and White Photos of Chicago in 1988
- “Rite of Passage”: Striking Vintage Photos of Florida Spring Break in the ‘80s
- The Mind-Boggling Hyperrealistic Pencil Drawings By Alessandro Paglia
- The Most Creative Photos Of The World Naked Gardening Day 2020, Even In Isolation
- This Home Baker’s Gorgeous Rye Bread Could Start A Revolution
- The Stunning Art Of George Redreev
- “Iconic Covers”: Russian Designer Represents Famous Album Covers as Icons
- How To Take Care Of A Sad Person In Ten Easy Steps