‘Vertical Forest’ in Chinese Residential Complex Becomes Mosquito-Infested Jungle
The Qiyi City Forest Garden residential complex in Chengdu, China, was supposed to be a green paradise for its residents, but two years on, the vertical forest concept has turned into a nightmare.
Back in 2018, the idea of living among dozens of exotic plants proved very exciting for the people of Chengdu, one of China’s most polluted cities, and by April of 2020 all 826 units in the Qiyi City Forest Garden complex had been sold. Each unit had up to 20 types of plants growing on the balcony, and filtering the city’s air and noise pollution. However, instead of an urban paradise, the eight-tower complex looks like a scene out of a post-apocalyptic film, with balconies overrun by sprawling greenery and plagues of mosquitoes.
For reasons unknown, only 10 families have moved into the residential complex so far, which means most of the units and their allotted balcony gardens are currently unattended. Recent photos show balconies virtually swallowed up by plants, with branches hanging over balcony railings. To make matters worse, the few residents that have moved in are complaining that the unattended vertical forest has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
The current state of the Qiyi City Forest Garden complex sparked a heated debate on Chinese social media, with Hong Kong-based online publication HK01 reporting that part of the netizens find that it is a good idea to be living close to nature, while others cite safety concerns regarding the sprawling plants and the pest infestation.
Costfoto/Barcroft Media via Getty Images
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Misty Lochs, Magical Woods and Spectacular Lightning Strikes: Feast Your Eyes on The Incredible Winning Shots for The 2020 Landscape Photographer of The Year Awards
- “Porn Fashions”: Obscenely Tasteless Apparel From 1980s Adult Magazines
- Stunning Photographs of Ellen O’Neal, The Greatest Woman Freestyle Skateboarder in the 1970s
- 2020 Miss Mexico Contestants Compete In Traditional Outfits And They Are Amazing
- Japanese Photographer Captures Stunningly Gorgeous Photoshoot of Tokyo Station During a Typhoon
- The Scariest Halloween Pumpkins Ever Carved
- Amazing Black and White Photographs Capture Everyday Life in France During the Mid-20th Century
- Graphic Artist Reimagines Children’s Board Games As Superb Horror Movie Posters
- Bums for The Bush: The Cheeky Campaign Helping Aussie Farmers
- Artist Creates Funny Illustrations of The Backstage Of Disney’s Famous Scenes