The Beautiful Buenos Aires Bookstore Inside A 100-Year-Old Theatre
Image: Ryan Poole
Situated at 1860 Santa Fe Avenue in Barrio Norte, Buenos Aires, you will find one of the most stunning bookstores in the world. Named by The Guardian as the second most beautiful bookshop in the world in 2008, El Ateneo Grand Splendid is one of the best known bookshops in Argentina.
Image: Nan Palmero
Designed by the architects Peró and Torres Armengol, with ceiling frescoes painted by Nazareno Orlandi and support columns sculpted by Troiano Troiani, the grand theatre first opened in May 1919 with a seating capacity of 1,050.
In the late 1920s it was converted into a movie theatre and then retrofitted into a flagship bookstore in the year 2000.
Image: Diego Mala
Image: Kara Brugman
Image: Jorge Láscar
Image: Nico Kaiser
Image: Liam Quinn
Image: Stanley Wood
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Forensic Artist Reconstructs Face From A Skull-Shaped Vodka Bottle
- Italian Artist Illustrates the Sad Truth of Modern Life
- Once You See These Rare Historical Photos, You’ll Never Forget Them
- Rare Photographs Reveal British Soldiers Manning Anti-Aircraft Guns in Full Drag in World War II
- Amazing Photographs Capture Punk Scenes in East Germany During the 1980s
- Valentin Pavageau, the Traveler of a Psychedelic Universe
- This Instagram Account Creates Sinister Parodies of Kid’s Cooks To Ruin Your Childhood Memories
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- These Photos Will Blow Your Mind – Russia In The 90s Through The Lens With French Photographer Lise Sarfati