The Beautiful Buenos Aires Bookstore Inside A 100-Year-Old Theatre
Image: Ryan Poole
Situated at 1860 Santa Fe Avenue in Barrio Norte, Buenos Aires, you will find one of the most stunning bookstores in the world. Named by The Guardian as the second most beautiful bookshop in the world in 2008, El Ateneo Grand Splendid is one of the best known bookshops in Argentina.
Image: Nan Palmero
Designed by the architects Peró and Torres Armengol, with ceiling frescoes painted by Nazareno Orlandi and support columns sculpted by Troiano Troiani, the grand theatre first opened in May 1919 with a seating capacity of 1,050.
In the late 1920s it was converted into a movie theatre and then retrofitted into a flagship bookstore in the year 2000.
Image: Diego Mala
Image: Kara Brugman
Image: Jorge Láscar
Image: Nico Kaiser
Image: Liam Quinn
Image: Stanley Wood
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Photographer Asked 16 Artists To Draw His Portrait Photos In Their Own Style, And The Result Is Fabulous!
- Artist Creates Realistic Life-Sized Female Sculptures Inspired By The Graceful Beauty Of Renaissance Art
- 1939 Pontiac Plexiglas “Ghost Car”: The First Full-Sized “See-Thru” Car Ever Made In America
- Vintage Photographs Of People Posing With Job Hunting Signs On The Streets During The Great Depression
- “Porn Fashions”: Obscenely Tasteless Apparel From 1980s Adult Magazines
- This Teen Spent 400 Hours Creating A COVID-Themed Prom Dress Using Duct Tape
- Famous People And World Leaders Reimagined As Hipsters By Amit Shimoni
- Maggie Out: Striking And Depressive Photographs Captured Everyday Life In Glasgow In 1980
- Amazing Portraits Of Louis Coulon And His 11-Foot Beard As A Nest For His Cats
- You May Chill In This Sunken 200 Year-Old Swedish Cabin Hidden Deep In A Forest