Before Seatbelts and Airbags: Terrible Photos of Car Accidents in the Early 20th Century
A car and train collision on the level crossing at Weasenham Lane, Wisbech, March 4, 1910
By 1950, almost every race-car driver used safety seat belts.
American car manufacturers Nash (in 1949) and Ford (in 1955) offered seat belts as options, while Swedish Saab first introduced seat belts as standard in 1958. After the Saab GT 750 was introduced at the New York Motor Show in 1958 with safety belts fitted as standard, the practice became commonplace.
Fatal racing accident, Illinois, 1910
In 1973, GM’s Oldsmobile Toronado became the first car ever with a passenger airbag. Later on, GM made its own air cushion restraint system (ACRS) available as an option for regular production cars such as Cadillacs, Oldsmobile and Buick models during 1974.
An early electric automobile hangs precariously off the Glen Road Bridge, Ontario in the winter of 1912
They made cars equipped with ACRS on the driver side, driver-side knee restraint, and the passenger side. The passenger side airbag protects front passengers, and also included a dual stage deployment, which depended on the force of impact.
Recently, I published bizarre vintage photos of steam engines after a boiler explosion from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
A car accident in 1912
An early automobile wreck, 1913
A classic car collision with a street lamp, 1918
Auto accident No. 1042 Bloor Street West near Walmer Road. Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 4 March 1918
Car wreck with two wheels missing, 1918
Trolley vs car crash in Washington D.C., 1918
A two-car collision in Washington D.C., circa 1919
Car wreck from the late 1910s
A fashioned automobile crashed into tree, 1920
An overturned car, 1920
Traffic accident in Washington, D.C, 1920
A car collided with a bus in Waltham, Mass., 1921
Booze bootlegger car crash aftermath, 1922
Model “T” Ford wrecked on a median, 1922
Motor vehicle crash, 1922
Prohibition-era car wreck with boxes of moonshine, 1922
An antique motor vehicle wreck in 1926
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Men’s Fashion 2021 Collection
- “Gothic Times”: Artist Spends 14 Months Creating The Most Incredible Ghost Pirate Ship Sculpture
- Teach Yourself to Draw with The Help of The Man Who Influenced Walt Disney, 1913
- Contrasting Portraits Show How A Smile Can Change Your Perception Of Someone
- Simple, Ingenious, And Amusing: Blackwork Tattoos By Ilya Brezinsk
- Employee Cleverly Trolls Her Boss Who Is Never Happy About The Way She’s Dressed For Work
- Brutal 1938 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Lungo Touring Berlinetta
- Russian Janitor’s Mock GQ Photoshoot Pays Off
- Controversial Photos Inside The Homes Of Russia’s Ultrarich Show The Country’s Problem With Wealth Inequality
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers