Concepts From Future Past: Autobianchi Runabout
Revealed at the 1969 Turin Motor Show, Bertone showed off this wild ride which looks a bit like what might have happened if Speed Racer’s Mach 5 mated with a powerboat.
The car was designed by Marcello Gandini, and was powered by mid- mounted 1.1L Fiat 128 engine and matching 4-speed gearbox.
Beyond its funky wedge shape and low profile, one of the most unusual design elements of the car were its headlights – which were mounted next to the occupants’ heads on the roll bar. You’ll also notice that the car has no doors – that’s because it was designed to be amphibious.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- The Vintage Beauty Of Soviet Control Rooms
- “The Book Of Bunny Suicides”: Hilariously Dark Cartoon Series By Andy Riley
- Social Distance: A Graphic Story For The Coronavirus Age By Mark Haddon
- The Twin Towers During The 1970s And Early ’80s Through Fascinating Photos
- Vivian Maier: Lost Photographs Of 1950s New York
- Craftsman Gabriel Dishaw Upcycles Louis Vuitton Bags Into Elaborate ‘Star Wars’ Helmets
- These Beautiful Yet Terrifying Surreal Pictures By Erik Johansson Will Blow Your Mind
- Sensual Shadow Photography By Sølve Sundsbø
- Post Apocalyptic Views: Dutch Photographer’s Lens Captures Graveyard Of French Warships
- Italian Graphic Designer Emanuele Abrate Perfectly Fixes The ‘World’s Worst Logos’