These Amazing Animal Sculptures Were Made from Carefully Cut Layers of Paper
Canadian artist Calvin Nicholls creates extraordinary 3D sculptures using archival paper. The multi-layered paper sculptures (what he describes as ‘low relief framed paper sculptures’) can take anywhere from 4 weeks to 2 years to complete and the process always begins with extensive research of the animals to get their musculoskeletal features correct.
Nicholls uses a final drawing as a pattern for the pieces which he carefully cuts out with scalpels and x-acto knives. Finally, he pieces the components together and uses a method of studio lighting to bring out the effect of depth in his portraits.
Nicholls has been a full-time paper sculpture artist since the mid 80s and his work can be found in books as well as private collections and institutions around the world. At the Follett Library Resources in McHenry, Illinois, you can find an extensive collection of Calvin’s work with a staggering 75 pieces on display.
Nicholls says he enjoys white on white paper sculptures the most due to the emphasis on texture and form. He is currently available for private commissions and has completed a number of works for global brands such as Coca-Cola, GM and Ford. For more, be sure to check out Calvin’s incredible work at the links below.
Via Twisted Sifter
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories:
- Awesome Illustrations About Women by Majéon
- “One Day with Salvador Dalí”: A Surreal Photo Shoot of Salvador Dalì in His Seaside Villa, 1955
- “So Many Tons of Democracy Waiting to Get Delivered”: The Superb Sci-Fi Concept Artworks of Ronan Le Fur
- “City Life”: The Superb Contemporary Oil Paintings of Vincent Giarrano
- Ukrainian Artist Spent Seven Month to Create This Relief Wood Carving
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- “False Gods”: The Superb Retro Aesthetic Artworks of Fârzad Borousan
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- 45 Glamorous Photos Of Young Sophie Marceau In The 1980s
- “Excommunicated” Cat Waits to Be Absolved of Feline Sins Outside Temple Gate