The Weight Watchers: Candid Photos Taken By An Obese Woman Reveal How Strangers Really React To Her On The Street
An overweight woman who photographs herself in public to capture the cruel looks and stares she attracts has turned her series of portraits into a book. The Watchers shows photos of Haley Morris-Cafiero, an artist from Memphis, Tennessee, taken in different social settings around the world over six years. The 40-year-old positions a camera and stations herself in front of it in public spaces to take photos of herself and capture the reaction of those passing by.
“Four years ago, I started the Wait Watchers photographic series when I was taking a self-portrait in Times Square. After I got the film developed I noticed that there was a man behind me and he appeared to be sneering at me.”, says Haley.
“It intrigued me that even though we were in the sensory overload capital of the world and he is being photographed by someone, he was fixated on me. And then it happened 5 minutes later on the same roll of film. Since then, I have set up my camera for the purpose of capturing the expressions of passersby.
“, she added.
“When I get home, I look at each frame to see if anyone in the photograph had a critical or questioning look on their face or gesture in their body language. While I do not know what the passerby is thinking, my goal is to reverse the gaze back onto the stranger and start a conversation. I am very interested in how society uses their gaze to project emotions and then how we interpret the looks of others.”
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- The 1958 Plymouth Tornado Concept Car Has Been Found And Restored
- A Collection Of Genius Designs That Are So Creative They Should Receive An Award
- Underwater Restaurant Has Been Completed In Norway And It Looks Out Of This World
- Beautiful Early Entries Of The 2020 Sony World Photography Awards
- Rare Photos Of Los Angeles Rock Bands, 1978-1989
- Stunning Photos Of The Abandoned Armoured Repair Factory In Kharkiv, Ukraine
- Kazakh Bodybuilder Yuri Tolochko To Marry His Life-Like Sex Doll ‘Margo’
- Something Unique: The Superb Humorous, Creative And Advertising Photo Works Of Frank Uyttenhove
- 93-Year-Old Grandma & Her Grandson Dress-Up In Ridiculous Outfits, And It’s Brilliant
- Fabulous Photos of Christmas Shopping In New York City, December 1910