Photographer Documented More Than 1,000 Intricate Afro Hairstyles In Nigeria During The 1960s And 1970s
Widely regarded as one of the greatest 20th century African photographers, J.D. Okhai Ojeikere earned international acclaim through his Hairstyle series; a personal project begun in 1968, which grew to encompass 1,000 photographs spanning 40 years.
Ojeikere elevates hair design from fashion to a fine art form through celebrating their intricate patterns, sculptural qualities, and abstraction. In contrast to the variety of complex hairstyles represented, Ojeikere’s photography uses a consistent and understated visual language. In these literally back-to-front portraits, softly-lit hairstyles occupy the majority of the composition without distraction from props or backdrops.
“To watch a ‘hair artist’ going through his precise gestures, like an artist making a sculpture, is fascinating,” Mr. Ojeikere once said. “Hairstyles are an art form.”
The hairstyles Ojeikere presents range from being purely decorative to symbols with precise meanings. Some designs are paraded on social occasions or celebrations such as weddings or birthdays, whilst other styles are worn casually on a regular basis. Hairstyles can be reflective of social status and royalty may have unique family hairstyles passed down through generations. To Ojeikere, the hairstyles celebrate uniqueness and reflect the diversity of cultural traditions within Nigeria.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- Professional Russian Photographer Pavel Kiselev Captures Sensual NSFW Female Pictures
- Marvelous Female Portrait Photography by Kai Böttcher
- The Internet’s Most Favorite Animal Captured In Beautiful Portrait Photographs By Felicity Berkleef
- Pink Gore And Pop Culture – The Superb Tattoos By Brando Chiesa
- This Is How The Practical Miniatures For Blade Runner 2049 Were Created
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- “From Russia With Love”: NSFW & Beauty Female Photography By Tatiana Mertsalova
- The Vintage Beauty Of Soviet Control Rooms
- Guy Paints Over Shit Graffiti And Makes It Legible
- This Artist Offers Piles Of Burgers To The Masterpieces Of Painting
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- “It Is Not The World Of Smiles”: Enchanted NSFW Dolls By Marina Bychkova
- “The Memories Of The Future”: Photographer Nuno Assis Captures Fantastic Photos Of Hong Kong
- These Photos Will Blow Your Mind – Russia In The 90s Through The Lens With French Photographer Lise Sarfati
- Photographer Recreates Famous Portraits With John Malkovich As His Model