Believe It Or Not, These People Submitted Their Actual Photos For Consideration As A TV Weather Forecaster In The 1980s
Increasingly, weather and all of its related catastrophes are never far from the front page of the news. Michael Jang’s photographs of weather reporter auditions from 1983 charmingly remind us of the bygone era when weather reporting was a more innocent undertaking.
Jang had been hired to take a photograph of each person who auditioned for the job of weather reporter at a San Francisco TV station, which was having a contest to fill the position. “Summer Weather” is the series of these headshots, and they are a unique look at a very specific segment of 1980s life.
“In 1983, a local TV station held a contest for anyone who wanted a chance at reporting the weather. My role was to take head shots of contestants after each screen test. Five winners were chosen out of nearly one hundred applicants. The pictures were never used, but I developed the negatives anyway (without proofing them). These images had been lost until recently and I am seeing them for the very first time.” — Michael Jang
On top of being hilarious, the images are surprisingly powerful and arresting. The contestants’ faces convey an overriding sense of hope and aspiration, and, in doing so, also a palpable vulnerability.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- Athletes From Around The World Strip Off For A Saucy Charity Calendar
- These Drawings Capture What Love Looks Like When Nobody’s Watching
- Provocative NSFW Fashion Photography By Nikola Tamindzic
- Provocative Photography By Artur Birkle
- “It Is Not The World Of Smiles”: Enchanted NSFW Dolls By Marina Bychkova
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Provocative And Glamour Photography By Oscar Bucaralook
- Artist Avner Geller Perfectly Illustrates Things He Has Accidentally Overheard
- Sexy Pin-Up Models Dressed In Only Milk Splashes Grace This NSFW 2018 Calendar
- UK Royal Society Publishing Photography Competition 2017 Winners
- Siberian Farm Cats Are Waiting For Spring To Come In Marvelous Photos By Alla Lebedeva
- These Unusual And Sarcastic Illustrations Will Make You Rethink The Way We Live
- UK Capturing Ecology 2017 Photo Competition
- Hong Kong In The 1950s Captured By A Teenager
- Perfectly Timed Photos That Will Mess With Your Head
- Photographer Christopher Herwig Hails The Brutal Charm Of The Soviet Bus Stop
- Stunning Photos Of A Beautiful Woman You Wouldn’t Believe That Were Taken Over 40 Years Ago
- Magical Photos Of China Taken By The US Photographer Tristan Zhou
- Photographer Analyzes Brain Waves To Construct Portraits Of People’s Ideal Selves
- Everyday Objects Obsessively Organized Into Patterns By Adam Hillman
- Famous Album Covers Brought Onto Their Original New York City Locations Where They Were Shot
- Vibrant Photos Of Chicago In 1941 Through The Lens Of Photographer John Vachon
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- These 80-Year-Old Wooden Escalators Become A Beautiful Sculpture
- The Daredevil Female Photographer Who Lowers Herself Into Active Volcanoes