Believe It Or Not, These People Submitted Their Actual Photos For Consideration As A TV Weather Forecaster In The 1980s
Increasingly, weather and all of its related catastrophes are never far from the front page of the news. Michael Jang’s photographs of weather reporter auditions from 1983 charmingly remind us of the bygone era when weather reporting was a more innocent undertaking.
Jang had been hired to take a photograph of each person who auditioned for the job of weather reporter at a San Francisco TV station, which was having a contest to fill the position. “Summer Weather” is the series of these headshots, and they are a unique look at a very specific segment of 1980s life.
“In 1983, a local TV station held a contest for anyone who wanted a chance at reporting the weather. My role was to take head shots of contestants after each screen test. Five winners were chosen out of nearly one hundred applicants. The pictures were never used, but I developed the negatives anyway (without proofing them). These images had been lost until recently and I am seeing them for the very first time.” — Michael Jang
On top of being hilarious, the images are surprisingly powerful and arresting. The contestants’ faces convey an overriding sense of hope and aspiration, and, in doing so, also a palpable vulnerability.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- German Photographer Carsten Thun Captures Provocative Photos Of Dancers In Unlikely Settings
- “From Russia With Love”: NSFW & Beauty Female Photography By Tatiana Mertsalova
- Artist Grace Gogarty Makes Hilarious Guide To Dog Breeds That Will Help You Choose Your Next Dog
- The Bizarre Looking Of Henry VIII’s Horned Helmet, c.1511-1514
- Architect Couple Turns Cardboard Boxes Into Stackable Cat Fort
- Artist Breaks The Traditional Masculinized Image Of Famous People By Taking Them To Their Pink World
- The Blinged-Out Work Trucks Of Japan Photographed By Todd Antony
- The Spectacular Winning Photos Of The 2018 Birth Becomes Her Photography Contest
- Sports Illustrated Hails Female Empowerment In NSFW Unedited Photo Shoot
- Spectacular Winning Photos Of The 2017 International Photographer Of The Year Contest
- Child Photo Contest 2017 – The Best Pictures Dedicated To Childhood
- The Poetic And Haunting Illustrations Of Aykut Aydogdu
- This Soviet Dog Spacesuit Is The Cutest Dog Costume You Will See Today
- “Weaving” Paintings By Alexi Torres Show The Connection Between Man And Nature
- “What If We Could Swim In The Clouds?”: Artist Laurent Rosset Mixes The Sky With The Sea