Believe It Or Not, These People Submitted Their Actual Photos For Consideration As A TV Weather Forecaster In The 1980s
Increasingly, weather and all of its related catastrophes are never far from the front page of the news. Michael Jang’s photographs of weather reporter auditions from 1983 charmingly remind us of the bygone era when weather reporting was a more innocent undertaking.
Jang had been hired to take a photograph of each person who auditioned for the job of weather reporter at a San Francisco TV station, which was having a contest to fill the position. “Summer Weather” is the series of these headshots, and they are a unique look at a very specific segment of 1980s life.
“In 1983, a local TV station held a contest for anyone who wanted a chance at reporting the weather. My role was to take head shots of contestants after each screen test. Five winners were chosen out of nearly one hundred applicants. The pictures were never used, but I developed the negatives anyway (without proofing them). These images had been lost until recently and I am seeing them for the very first time.” — Michael Jang
On top of being hilarious, the images are surprisingly powerful and arresting. The contestants’ faces convey an overriding sense of hope and aspiration, and, in doing so, also a palpable vulnerability.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- Illustrator Pascal Blanché Is Building A Stunning Sci-Fi Universe
- Cool Retro Pics Of The Sexiest Postures That Women Can Seduce Their Men
- The Supercharged Art Of Walter Molino
- The Realistic NSFW 3D Character Art By Hood Saladine
- Japanese Cosplayer’s ‘BoobPack’ Becomes A Viral Trend On Twitter
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- The Badass And Chilling Watercolor Paintings Of Misha Vyrtsev
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- The Robot Next Door: Playful And Visionary Series By Nicolas Bigot, Niko Photographisme
- Geeky And Adorable Silhouettes By Andy Fairhurst Make You Go Awww
- Photographer Visited Bolivia’s Graveyard Of Trains
- Vladislav Ociacia’s Robot Renders Are Works Of Art
- “From Here To Nowhere”: The Superb 3D Sci-Fi, Post-Apocalypse And Cyberpunk Concept Art By Polygonatic
- Mechanical Engineer Creates Superb 3D Bio-Mechanic Artworks
- Engineers And Architects Create A Carbon Neutral Modular Hotel Made From Concrete Pods