Believe It Or Not, These People Submitted Their Actual Photos For Consideration As A TV Weather Forecaster In The 1980s
Increasingly, weather and all of its related catastrophes are never far from the front page of the news. Michael Jang’s photographs of weather reporter auditions from 1983 charmingly remind us of the bygone era when weather reporting was a more innocent undertaking.
Jang had been hired to take a photograph of each person who auditioned for the job of weather reporter at a San Francisco TV station, which was having a contest to fill the position. “Summer Weather” is the series of these headshots, and they are a unique look at a very specific segment of 1980s life.
“In 1983, a local TV station held a contest for anyone who wanted a chance at reporting the weather. My role was to take head shots of contestants after each screen test. Five winners were chosen out of nearly one hundred applicants. The pictures were never used, but I developed the negatives anyway (without proofing them). These images had been lost until recently and I am seeing them for the very first time.” — Michael Jang
On top of being hilarious, the images are surprisingly powerful and arresting. The contestants’ faces convey an overriding sense of hope and aspiration, and, in doing so, also a palpable vulnerability.
- Gorgeous NSFW Female Portraits By The Russian Photographer Marat Safin
- “Dreams Of Sensuality”: Beautiful Art Nude Photography By Dani Fehr
- Gorgeous Female Portraits By The Miami Beach Photographer Mark Del Mar
- “Postcards From Google Earth”: This Artist Finds Strange Beauty in Google’s Apocalyptic Glitches
- Stunning Socialist-Era Architecture: The Brutalism Of Zagreb, Croatia
- How People With Bad Eyesight See The World When They Take Off Their Glasses
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- Breathtaking Photos Of Australian Drought From Above
- Wax Sculpture Of Sleeping Woman Doubles As Candle
- Artist Maimouna Guerresi Photographs ‘Aisha In Wonderland’
- Designer 3D Prints Famous Logos Into Items You Can Use Everyday
- Marvelous NSFW Female Portrait Photography By Darren Ankenman
- Stroyboard Artist Marty Cooper Inserts Cartoons Into Real-World Situations
- Turkish Artist Abdullah Evindar Creates Fantastic Surreal Silhouette Photo Collages
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy