Guido Zimmermann Turns Compelling Architecture Into Cuckoo Clocks
“Cuckoo Blocks” are Zimmermann’s answer to the traditional cuckoo clocks from the Black Forest in Germany. They present a contemporary view of urban living and compelling architecture. The hull is new, but the soul, a clockwork with a cuckoo, is still an old one.
More: Guido Zimmermann
Two aspects have a special significance here: buildings with a striking history and architectural value, as well as living in social flashpoints. Both are connected to the blocky, massive concrete construction.
The classic cuckoo clock is a symbol for prosperity in the middle class and is considered a kind of luxury for the home. The updated version, a prefabricated panel construction (“plattenbau”), reveals today’s urban and social life in residential blocks.
The second aspect of “Cuckoo Blocks” is no less interesting. For example, the “Glenkerry House” by Ernő Goldfinger, built in the striking style of brutalism, was once accommodation for average citizens. Today it offers “hip” and hardly affordable living in London.
The hotel “La Flaine” by Bauhaus architect Marcel Breuer, is a beautiful architectural example, but is an eyesore as this huge hotel complex is located in the middle of the French Alps.
The cuckoo clock series has been extended by Zimmermann with birdhouses for native songbirds. The prototype, a model of a social housing building from Catania/Sicily, was quickly inhabited by a pair of titmice. The three nondescript birdhouses next door remained uninhabited. Perhaps it was the small satellite dish.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- Beautiful Underwater NSFW Photos That Redefine Women’s Beach Stereotypes
- Comedian Creates Hilarious Fake Signs, Places Them All Around Los Angeles
- Glamour And Art Nude Photography By The Belarusian Photographer Juri Sergeyev
- Hawaii-Based Photographer And A Former Marine Makes Stunning Underwater NSFW Pictures
- NSFW “French Postcards” That Will Show You How People Got Nudes Way Before The Internet
- Photographer Robert Ogilvie Perfectly Captures The Heart And Soul Of San Francisco
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Creepy And Dark Photography Of Nona Limmen, Covered With Goth, Fantasy And Metamorphosis
- Volcano Eruption In Guatemala Leaves Behind Ghost Town
- Photographer Captures Minimal Architecture Photos Sprinkled With Tiny Humans
- “New York, By The Way”: Urban Pastel Color Photography By Ludwig Favre
- A Towering Wooden Sculpture By Daniel Popper Welcomes Beachgoers In Tulum
- Amazing Black and White Photographs Capture Scenes From Venice Beach In The 1970s And ’80s
- The Photographer That Is Constantly Silenced And Censored By Instagram
- French Photograher Captured Stunning Pictures Of Post-Soviet Holiday Camp In Artek, Crimea