The City Of Utrecht In The Netherlands Turns 316 Bus Stops Into Bee Stops
According to statistics, 358 bee species live in the Netherlands. Unfortunately, more than half of them are already endangered and put on the Dutch Red List (RL). The Netherlands’ officials recognized the growing problem and found an ingenious solution – to transform the city of Utrecht’s bus stops into bee-friendly havens to support pollinating populations.
Recently, the Utrecht council saw an opportunity to expand the functions of a regular bus stop by giving them a new wholesome purpose: To tackle the growing endangerment of bees. Utrecht is the fourth-largest city in the Netherlands, located in the central part of the country.
Not only do newly revamped bus stops look cozier, but the planted succulents also support the city’s dwindling biodiversity such as honeybees and bumblebees. The green rooftops also help to capture fine dust and store rainwater.
“A green roof is good for a healthy and livable city … that can, therefore, cope better with climate problems. It helps to prevent flooding and ensures that we suffer less from heat,” reads the official website of the city of Utrecht. The officials are planning to install solar panels atop the bus stops in the next few years as well.
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- Zero Fucks Coins Allow You To Literally Give Zero Fucks
- People Are Posting ‘Illegal’ Lego Building Techniques And They Are Actually Genius
- This Artist’s Paintings Are So Realistic, You’ll Probably Think They Are Photos
- Artist Redesignes Celebrities, Cartoon And Comic Characters To Look More “Serious”
- Dad Continues To Recreate Son’s Adorable Drawings Into Hilarious Real-Life Counterparts
- Fascinating Photos That Capture Everyday Of Oahu Beaches, Hawaii In The Early 1970s
- 19-Year-Old Student Hides Spy Camera In His Clothing To Take Secret Street Photos In The 1890s
- This Foldable Wall Desk Is Ideal For Small Spaces
- These Funnily Terrible Portraits Of Famous People Drawn By This ‘Artist’ Are Awfully ‘Accurate’
- Leather Banana Holder For Your Bicycle