9-Year-Old Kid Who Kept Getting In Trouble For Doodling In Class Gets A Job Decorating A Restaurant With His Drawings
You should always support your kids and their natural talents. And if you nurture them, great things will happen. That’s what 9-year-old Joe Whale’s parents thought when they encouraged their son to keep drawing, even though he got into trouble for doodling during class.
They sent Joe to an after-school art class and his artistic abilities were quickly noticed by those around him. In fact, Joe was invited to decorate the dining room of the ‘Number 4’ restaurant in Shrewsbury, England. Now, Joe is known as The Doodle Boy and has his own website, as well as social media pages showing off his awesome art.
View this post on Instagram
Check out Joe’s new commissioned piece, heading down to Hertfordshire #thedoodleboy #illustrationdaily #illustrationnow #illustratorsoninstagram #illustrationartists #artistsoninstagram #art #artist #doodlesofinstagram #doodle #doodling #doodlesketch #doodleartist #doodler
Bored Panda spoke to Joe’s dad Greg about his son’s artistic talents. According to Greg, his son has ‘always’ loved drawing and “was added to the Gifted register in primary school aged 4.”
He added: “His identical twin brother Jesse was also added to the register.”
Greg also revealed how long it took Joe to finish his drawings on the dining room walls in the restaurant. “Joe spent about 12 hours illustrating the wall.”
What’s more, Greg had some advice for parents who want to encourage their kids to develop their talents: “I would advise parents to encourage their children to always follow their passion and dreams — research local workshops or groups within your local community.”
When their kids get into trouble for something at school, some parents tend to shut that behavior down. However, others know how to recognize a talent that needs creative space to flourish, so they give them what they need.
Joe’s teacher recognized his talent and posted his work on Instagram. His drawings caught the eye of the ‘Number 4’ restaurant which asked him to come over and decorate their walls with his doodles. Now, his dad drives him there so he can draw his heart out. Who knew that drawing in an after-class program would lead Joe to get his first job at barely 9 years old?
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Photographer Captures Intimate And Unguarded Portraits Of Porn Stars
- The Earthquake Tower by Remco, ca. 1974
- Doh! The Alternate View On Simpsons By Stanislaw Bashkow
- Snapshots Of Stripteasers From The 1980s At Downtown Los Angeles Venues
- “Namaha”: The Mythologic India In Stunning Illustrations By Abhishek Singh
- Australia’s Silo Murals Make a Road Trip an Art Odyssey
- A Soviet-Era Museum In Kyrgyzstan, Built Into The Side Of A Mountain Containing over 33,000 Archeological Artifacts
- Winning Photographs from The World of Water Competition
- Artist Makes Witty And Quirky Inanimate Object Illustrations That Are Oddly Relatable
- Spectacular Winning Images Of 2021 Black & White MonoVisions Photography Awards