Meet Nicole McLaughlin, An Innovative Upcycler That Creates Sculpture-Like Garments Out Of Secondhand Treasures
Nicole McLaughlin is not your average designer. As an innovative upcycler, the young artist creates sculpture-like garments out of secondhand treasures found on resell apps like Depop or in her local thrift store.
Her conceptual pieces and unique wearables are made out of the most unlikely materials— picture a repurposed Patagonia bag as a utilitarian bra complete with zipper storage, or a volleyball (yes, a volleyball) transformed into a comfy slipper.
She’s even made a puffer vest out of mini cereal packages and adorned a chair with brightly hued rock-climbing holds.
These thought-provoking designs have garnered attention from the fashion industry and grown McLaughlin’s fanbase over the last few years. With now over 400K+ followers on Instagram, the designer has managed to turn her creations into a full time gig.
“I started sharing these ‘experiments’ just for fun, and now creating these projects is my full-time job. I’m still so shocked at how much and how fast my following has grown, but I’m so honored and excited that I can share these pieces with the world.” Fashion brands have also taken note of her work, as seen in her collaborations with Opening Ceremony, Depop and Adidas.
“The curriculum will teach you that design is more than just drawing and making; there needs to be an understanding of ‘how’ and ‘why’, and what we can do to change the future,” she says.
View this post on Instagram
DONATION RAFFLE!! My fellow allies, we have a lot of work to do. We must continue to fight with the same passion and energy that we’ve had these last few weeks. We must continue to educate ourselves, keep the conversation alive, have difficult conversations, and keep each other informed. We must never stop the fight for justice and equality for those whose privilege was never even given to them. Black Lives Matter. I’ve made these one-of-one pieces which I am raffling for donation. 100% of the proceeds will go to: @innocenceproject @emergency_release_fund @yourrightscamp Raffle tickets start at $10, but you are encouraged to purchase as many as you’d like to increase your odds of winning and donation amount. edit: raffle is complete, thank you for everyone’s donations we raised $17,500! ❤️
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Found Photos Show Fashion Styles of Young Women in the Late 1980s and Early ’90s
- Woman Spends Up to 11 Hours Turning Herself Into the Most Stunning Optical Illusions
- The Finalists of The 2020 Comedy Pet Photography Awards Have Been Announced, and They’re Pretty Damn Funny!
- This Tattoo Artist Specializes in ‘Secret Tattoos’ on the Roof of the Mouth
- Cowboys and Indians: Incredible Western Paintings by Mark Maggiori
- Stunning Aerial Photos Shows Luxury Cruise Ships Being Broken Up At a Dock in Turkey
- Indian Photographer Recreates Realistic Miniature Brands on His Desktop
- This Instagram Account Points Out How Much Celebrity Faces Have Changed Over The Years
- Stuck In The Real World: Characters From Cartoons And Movies Placed In Real Photos
- This Is How Our Beautiful Planet Earth Looks from Above These Days of Global Pandemic