World’s Biggest Yacht “Eclipse” Berthed in New York City
The Eclipse, reported to be the largest private yacht in the world, is viewed docked at a pier in New York on February 19, 2013 in New York City. The boat, which measures 557ft in length and is estimated to cost 1.5 billion US dollars, is owned by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich and arrived into New York on Wednesday. Photos by Spencer Platt.
Eclipse is a luxury motor yacht constructed by Blohm + Voss in Hamburg, Germany. Its exterior and interior were designed by Terence Disdale Design and its naval architect was Francis Design. The yacht was delivered to Russian businessman Roman Abramovich on 9 December 2010. At 163.5 metres (536 ft) long, Eclipse is the world’s largest private yacht, 0.5 metres (1 ft 8 in) longer than the Dubai, which belongs to Sheikh Mohammed, the ruler of Dubai. The yacht’s cost has been estimated at €340 million (approx. US$475M as of September 2011), but a September 2009 report indicated that final costs could approach €800 million (US$1.12B).
Eclipse has two helicopter pads, 24 guest cabins, two swimming pools, several hot tubs and a disco hall. It is also equipped with three launch boats and a mini-submarine that is capable of submerging to 50 metres. Approximately 70 crew members are needed to operate the yacht.
For security, Eclipse is fitted with intruder detection systems and a German-built missile defence system. Abramovich’s master suite and the yacht’s bridge are fitted with armour plating and bullet-proof windows. The yacht is reportedly equipped with an anti-paparazzi shield in the form of lasers that sweep the surroundings, and when they detect a CCD, they shine a light right at the camera to prevent the photograph. According to The Times, these do not run all the time, so friends and guests should still be able to take pictures. Instead, they will be activated when guards spot likely professional photographers nearby. How such a system could feasibly work has not been demonstrated, however.
Eclipse was launched on 12 June 2009. It arrived in Frederikshavn, Denmark, on September 18, 2009, for tests, and was delivered to Abramovich on December 9, 2010. First pictures of the completed yacht were taken at Kristiansand, Norway, during its refuelling.
We’d love to hear your views on this:
More inspiring stories on DYT:
- Bad Girl Mugshots From Between The 1940s And 1960s Views today: 20,947 - Photography
- Donald Trump Really Doesn’t Want You To See These Photos Views today: 12,577 - Inspirations
- California’s Failed Utopia Views today: 5,220 - Travel
- This 56-Year-Old Lady Is Proof That Women’s Bodies Are Sexy At Any Age (NSFW) Views today: 2,831 - Inspirations
- What Dinnertime Looks Like In 36 Different Homes Views today: 2,575 - Photography
- Incredible Colorized Photos Of Soldiers During World War One Views today: 2,229 - Photography
- Pushing Photorealism To New Levels Of Beauty: Amazing Paintings By Yigal Ozeri Views today: 1,994 - Inspirations
- Beautiful Photos Of Cuba In 1954 That Looks Like A Country Of Freedom Views today: 1,722 - Travel
- Celebrity Portraits Taken At The Vanity Fair Oscar Party 2017 Views today: 1,674 - Photography
- This Beautiful Hotel Will Take Your Breath Away Views today: 1,411 - Architecture
- Hilarious Memes Of Beluga Whale Who Upstaged A Bride By Photobombing Her On Her Big Day Views today: 1,364 - Animals
- This Man Drives Several Hours Everyday To Bring Water To Thirsty Wild Animals Views today: 1,344 - Animals
- Japanese Artist Creates Stunning Mashup Photos Of Superhero Action Figures Views today: 1,322 - Inspirations
- This Clock Has A Levitating Sphere That Tells The Time Views today: 1,287 - Technology
- Meet The Tree That Actually Bleeds When It’s Sliced Open Views today: 1,090 - Inspirations
- Surreal NSFW Dolls Reveal The Dark Fantasy Worlds That Live Under Their ‘Skin’ Views today: 1,069 - Design
- The Magnificent Interior Of The George Peabody Library In Baltimore Views today: 1,025 - Architecture
- Animals That Look Like They’re About To Drop The Hottest Albums Ever Views today: 1,009 - Animals
- This Woman Throws Little Parties For The Squirrels Who Come To Visit Her Views today: 939 - Animals
- The Colossal Beauty Of Portland Bridges Captured By David McLaughlin Views today: 821 - Architecture