Photographer Explores the Beautiful Diversity of Redheads
Between one and two percent of the world’s population are redheads, according to BBC News. While gingers are usually thought to be white, pale, and of Celtic-Germanic descent, the reality is that there are millions of people of color around the world who have freckles and fiery locks of hair. French-born, London-based photographer Michelle Marshall explores the stunning diversity of redheads in her portrait series MC1R, named after the gene known as “melanocortin 1 receptor” that causes red hair.
Marshall was originally interested in documenting manifestations of freckles for her visual census. Eventually, after meeting a freckled little girl who was of mixed race, the photographer decided to focus on incidents of the MC1R gene variant among Afro-Caribbean people. She found her subjects, who are primarily black or mixed race individuals, through social media, word of mouth, or random encounters on the street.
“I want to stir the perception that most of us have of a ‘ginger’ as a white caucasian individual, potentially of Celtic descent,” Marshall told Huffington Post. “As we struggle with issues of immigration, discrimination and racial prejudice, Mother Nature, meanwhile, follows its own course, embracing society’s plurality and, in the process, shaking up our perceptions about origins, ethnicity and identity.”
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- German Photographer Carsten Thun Captures Provocative Photos Of Dancers In Unlikely Settings
- The Spectacular Winning Photos Of The 2018 Birth Becomes Her Photography Contest
- Burning Man 2017: Stunning Photos From The World’s Biggest And Craziest Festival
- Accidents Waiting To Happen Thanks To These Architects And Designers
- Chinese Women Use These Swimsuits To Keep Their Skin White
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Photographer Boris Leist Captures The World’s Most Hardcore Live Action Role Players
- “Welcome To The Mystically Beautiful World Of Your Nightmares”: The Superb Digital Art By Stefan Koidl
- Sports Illustrated Hails Female Empowerment In NSFW Unedited Photo Shoot
- “From Russia With Love”: NSFW & Beauty Female Photography By Tatiana Mertsalova
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- Deaf People Show How To Swear In Sign Language, And It’s Shamefully Entertaining
- “The Faces Of Fear”: The Superb Dark Concept Art By Anthony Jones
- Here’s What Marijuana Looks Like Under The Microscope