Man Freezes Alongside Icy Painting in Surreal Self-Portrait Sculpture
If an artwork could ever give you a chill, it’s a sculpture by Laurent Pernot. His piece titled Self Portrait Face to a Winter Canvas features a life-sized replica of the Paris-based artist as he stands in front of a framed snowy scene.
While that might sound innocuous, the artwork has a strange and surreal twist—the wintery mix is not just contained in the picture. Faux snow coats the figure and wood frame, as icicles dangle from the tip of his nose and hat.
Pernot has installed his piece in a gallery setting, and the surrounding indoor environment doesn’t have the same frigidness.
It’s as if the snow and ice are merely figments of the statue’s imagination, showing us that mentally, he’s off in a much colder place.
This idea, that reality and fantasy can coexist, is at the core of Pernot’s work. “His creations recurrently revolve around the notions of the visible and invisible, time and the confusions of memory,” his website states. Self Portrait is the visual representation of mind and matter.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories:
- Aerial Photographer Created A Miniature Utopian Village And It Took Him 2 Years To Finish
- “Unpopular Culture”: Artist ‘Uncovers’ The Disturbing Behind-The-Scenes Of Popular Characters
- Beautiful ’60s Fashion Photography by Henry Clarke
- Indonesian Man Creates a ‘Bionic Arm’ from Scrap Metal
- Wasteland Weekend 2019: Crazy Faces, Costumes And Vehicles Of The World’s Biggest Post-Apocalyptic Desert Festival
- Artist Turns Generic Figurines into Ultra-Realistic Sculptures of Anime Characters
- “Do You Look Like Your Cat?” A Memory Game: Match The Cats with Their Humans!
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Abandoned As A Baby Due To Albinism, Xueli Grew Up To Become A Vogue Model