Man Freezes Alongside Icy Painting in Surreal Self-Portrait Sculpture
If an artwork could ever give you a chill, it’s a sculpture by Laurent Pernot. His piece titled Self Portrait Face to a Winter Canvas features a life-sized replica of the Paris-based artist as he stands in front of a framed snowy scene.
While that might sound innocuous, the artwork has a strange and surreal twist—the wintery mix is not just contained in the picture. Faux snow coats the figure and wood frame, as icicles dangle from the tip of his nose and hat.
Pernot has installed his piece in a gallery setting, and the surrounding indoor environment doesn’t have the same frigidness.
It’s as if the snow and ice are merely figments of the statue’s imagination, showing us that mentally, he’s off in a much colder place.
This idea, that reality and fantasy can coexist, is at the core of Pernot’s work. “His creations recurrently revolve around the notions of the visible and invisible, time and the confusions of memory,” his website states. Self Portrait is the visual representation of mind and matter.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Cute Illustrations With the Soviet Mood From Anna Desnitskaya
- John Thomson’s Remarkable Photographs of China from the 1870s
- This Carpet-Covered Lada Is the Most Soviet-Era Car Ever Made
- “Rest in Peace”: The Dark, Nightmarish and Bizarre Drawings by Dima Khramtsov
- Creepy & Crawly Plush Sculptures by Hine Mizushima
- Incredible Winning Images of The Nature Conservancy Australia 2021 Photo Contest
- Amazing Photos Capture Street Scenes of New York City in the 1990s
- Spectacular Winning Photos of The Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2021
- The Superb 3D Digital Experimental Artworks by ☽༒༓N3XTgE№BR0K3R༓༒☾
- French Street Artist Paints 3D Creature Graffiti And It’s Not For The Faint Of Heart