Assisted Living Facility Creates Mock Town To Help Residents With Alzheimer’s
Check this out: after a user on Reddit posted a photo of an assisted living facility “designed to look like a golf course community,” the internet ate it up.
h/t: the-daily.buzz. All photos courtesy of Lantern.
The facility is Lantern of Chagrin Valley in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. It is one of three facilities designed specifically to improve the quality of life for Alzheimer’s and dementia patients. The hallways are carpeted green to look like grass. The interior courtyards and corridors have been built to resemble houses with front porches overlooking a golf course. A sound system plays the sounds of birds chirping. Fiber optics in a “sky ceiling” mimic daytime and nighttime. Those who suffer from Alzheimer’s tend to retain memories from their younger years, so the facility serves as a time capsule for these seniors, many of whom grew up during the 1930s and 1940s.
Lantern’s design concept is part of a program provided by Svayus. Lantern CEO and occupational therapist, Jean Makesh, developed the program in 2007, but did not get investors on board until 2010. They encouraged him, he says, “to take a risk.”
Makesh says that controlled environments reduce incidences of anger, irritation and depression in dementia patients: “Every little thing you see, the wall color, the paint, actually has a therapeutic benefit, a therapeutic value.”
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 5 million Americans lived with Alzheimer’s Disease in 2013. The number is expected to grow nearly three times this amount by 2050.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- How Male Beauty Standards Have Changed Over 100 Years
- ‘80s Pop Culture Icons as McDonald’s Happy Meal Toys
- Joyful Illustrations of the Artist Who Misses Soviet Days
- Stunning Winners Of The One Eyeland World’s Top Wedding Photographers 2021
- Amazing Snapshots Capture Street Life in New York City From the Mid-1930s to the End of the 1940s
- Artist Creates Brilliant Comics For People Who Like Dark Humor
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Winning Photographs Of The Urban Photo Awards 2021
- Low Resolution Pets Behind Pixelated Glass Doors
- An Incredibly Effective Way To Develop Your Child’s Math Skills With LEGO Blocks