“Lavatory Self-Portraits In The Flemish Style”: Artist Recreates 15th Century Paintings In Airplane Toilets
Created by Nina Katchadourian “Lavatory Self-Portraits in the Flemish Style” is part of a bigger piece called “Seat Assignment” which is based on improvising with materials close at hand while in flight. This project started in 2010 and still ongoing.
“While in the lavatory on a domestic flight in January 2011, I spontaneously put a tissue paper toilet cover seat cover over my head and took a picture in the mirror using my cellphone. The image evoked 15th-century Flemish portraiture.
I decided to add more images made in this mode and planned to take advantage of a long-haul flight from San Francisco to Auckland, guessing that there were likely to be long periods of time when no one was using the lavatory on the 14-hour flight. I made several forays to the bathroom from my aisle seat, and by the time we landed I had a large group of new photographs entitled Lavatory Self-Portraits in the Flemish Style.
I was wearing a thin black scarf that I sometimes hung up on the wall behind me to create the deep black ground that is typical of these portraits. There is no special illumination in use other than the lavatory’s own lights and all the images are shot hand-held with the camera phone. At the Dunedin Public Art gallery, the photos were framed in faux-historical frames and hung on a deep red wall reminiscent of the painting galleries in museums like the Metropolitan Museum of Art,” said Nina.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- German Photographer Carsten Thun Captures Provocative Photos Of Dancers In Unlikely Settings
- “From Russia With Love”: NSFW & Beauty Female Photography By Tatiana Mertsalova
- Sports Illustrated Hails Female Empowerment In NSFW Unedited Photo Shoot
- The Spectacular Winning Photos Of The 2018 Birth Becomes Her Photography Contest
- Spectacular Winning Photos Of The 2017 International Photographer Of The Year Contest
- The Blinged-Out Work Trucks Of Japan Photographed By Todd Antony
- A Single Book Disrupts The Foundation Of A Brick Wall By Jorge Méndez Blake
- Fascinating Photographs Capture Daily Life In Russia Just After The Collapse Of The Soviet Union
- The Bizarre Looking Of Henry VIII’s Horned Helmet, c.1511-1514
- Artist Breaks The Traditional Masculinized Image Of Famous People By Taking Them To Their Pink World
- Self-Taught Sculptor Creates Incredible Realistic Sculptures And Dreams Of Becoming The Modern Michelangelo
- Child Photo Contest 2017 – The Best Pictures Dedicated To Childhood
- Surreal Driftwood Sculptures By Debra Bernier Tell The Forgotten Stories Of The Ocean
- Beautiful Winning Photos Of The International Garden Photographer Of The Year
- Gloomy Portraits Of Dogs That Seem To Fade Into The Paper