A Snapshot Explosion Of Big Hair And Boozing In The 1980s
In the 1980s, Barcardi rum was the most popular distilled drink in the USA. Rum, the drink of old tars, pirates and last resort, was the tipple Americans most wanted. A drinks trade expert explained why rum was Number 1 in ’81: “Rum is vodka with a sweet taste, whereas vodka has no taste.
It’s for people who want to know there’s something in their drink besides orange juice.” Taste in the 1980s was moot. No-one had it, but you didn’t have it in varying degrees. Other 1980s drinks that seem to epitomise the decade of large hair, bedroom posters and shoulder pads that gave every bon viveur their own zip code were: Baycham, Cinzano Bianco and lo-cal ‘Lite beer’.
These snapshots are a bit hazy, a little out of focus. They’re a bit like the memories of getting wasted to Metallica and trying to comb your hair high enough to plug the hole in the ozone directly over your lacquered head.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Amazing Behind the Scenes Photos of Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Terminator, 1984
- Candid Photographs Captured Prostitution Scenes in Paris in 1966
- Powerful Illustrations By Japanese Artist That Will Make You Think
- 30 Surprising Facts You Might Not Know About
- These Women Let Hairdresser Kristina Katsabina Cut Their Long Hair And Did Not Regret It
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Photographer Makes Incredible Macro Shots Of Insects And Wildlife Creatures
- Amazing Winners Of The 2021 iPhone Photography Awards
- 16 Moms Who’re Proud Of Their Perfect Imperfections