Thrifted Vintage Plates Made Irreverent With Typography By Marie-Claude Marquis
Canadian artist Marie-Claude Marquis gives a new meaning to antique second-hand plates with witty typographical interventions. Often irreverent and full of trending pop culture references, her one-liners address and poke fun at our society in the digital age, sexuality, religion, consumerism, and mental health. The subjects she tackles spiced up with a humorous approach make her work bold and controversial.
The artist is inspired by souvenirs, nostalgia, pop culture, and her own emotions, which she expresses with a feminine touch and a colorful sensitivity. Marie-Claude brings a new life and soul to the antique objects she finds while thrifting. The variety of her finds is amazing—from rich golden details, beautiful and delicate floral designs to old detailed paintings—it’s a vintage lover’s dream.
She started making plates in 2014 for an installation in an art show. She was going through a breakup and decided to paint parts of her journal on fragile vintage plates. Since then, her gallery artwork has evolved beyond that and she also creates humorous embroideries and her own line of conceptual home goods, which is up for sale.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- This Elderly German Couple Steals The Show Every Time They Go Out
- Incredible Futuristic-Looking 1939 Duesenberg Coupe Simone Midnight Ghost
- These Russian Social Media Profile Pictures Will Blow Your Mind With Photoshop Magic
- Woman Uses Her iPhone To Capture Portraits Of Strangers On Her Daily Commute To Work, And The Result Is Impressive
- Running In The Night: The Superb ’80s Cyberpunk Artworks By Daniele Gasparini
- KangHee Kim’s Images Are As Satisfying To Create As They Are To Look At
- Japanese Artist Offers Funerals for Love Dolls and Lets Customers Live out Fantasies as A Murder Victim, Blow-Up Doll or Dead Girl
- These Young People from Lagos, Nigeria Took Smartphone Photography to The Next Level
- You Ride This Bike Lying Down, And It Feels Like You’re Flying
- Can You Guess Who Is Kissing In These Pics: Real Couples Or Friends?