Beeple’s ‘5000 Days’ NFT Sold for USD 69.35M at Christie’s
Beeple (previously), an artist who made quite a few headlines as of late around the NFT hype, managed to get his ‘Everyday: The First 5000 Days’ NFT sold for a whopping $69,346,250 at an auction on Christie’s.
.@beeple 's 'The First 5000 Days', the 1st purely digital NFT based artwork offered by a major auction house has sold for $69,346,250, positioning him among the top three most valuable living artists. Major Thanks to @beeple + @makersplaceco. More details to be released shortly
— Christie's (@ChristiesInc) March 11, 2021
— beeple (@beeple) March 11, 2021
Titled ‘Everyday: The First 5000 Days’ and created by prominent digital artist Mike Winkelmann, known as Beeple, the piece, consisting of almost 444m pixels, was on online auction from February 25 until March 11, attracting 353 bids – with the highest one of USD 60.25m set to take it home. However, the final purchase price of a lot, which includes the hammer price with the buyer’s premium, or the price realized, hit USD 69.35m.
In recent years, Beeple often reacted to political events. “I almost look at it now like I’m a political cartoonist,” he said. “Except instead of doing sketches, I’m using the most advanced 3D tools to make comments on current events, almost in real-time.”
— beeple (@beeple) February 25, 2021
The South Carolina-based artist collaborated with major brands, such as Louis Vuitton, Apple, Space X, and Nike, as well as performing artists such as Imagine Dragons, Ariana Grande, Childish Gambino, and Katy Perry.
“We must recognize the record-breaking sale of Beeple’s opus as what it is: a watershed moment for our industry. This sale will allow the public to see the capabilities of NFTs in the art space, however, it is just the beginning of the NFT revolution, which will ultimately change the way we live,” Justin Banon, CEO and Co-founder of Boson Protocol, the developer of a “capture resistant dCommerce ecosystem” using NFTs encoded with game theory, said in an emailed comment.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- “Berlin Love”: Minimalist Architecture in Surreal Photography By Simone Hutsch
- Hilarious Comics With Unexpectedly Dark Endings By ‘Perry Bible Fellowship’
- Holi – A Kolkata Experience: Colorful Photo Series By Shubhayu Dasgupta
- “Life is Good”: Sensual Close-Up Photography by Alisa Karin
- “See The Extraordinary And Make It Still More Extraordinary”: Contemporary Art Paintings By Stanislav Plutenko
- The Original and Outrageous 1979 Cocaine Calendar
- Romantic Photos of the ’60s Couples
- Cruising Van Nuys Boulevard In The Summer Of 1972 In Stunning Black And White Photos By Rick McCloskey
- “Iconic Covers”: Russian Designer Represents Famous Album Covers as Icons
- The Most Creative Photos Of The World Naked Gardening Day 2020, Even In Isolation