American Radiator Building – The Most Beautiful Skyscraper Of Art Deco Era
The American Radiator Building (since renamed to the American Standard Building) is a landmark skyscraper located at 40 West 40th Street, in midtown Manhattan, New York City. It was conceived by the architects John Howells and Raymond Hood, and built in 1924 for the American Radiator Company.
The architects combined Gothic and modern styles in the design of the building. Black brick on the frontage of the building (symbolizing coal) was selected to give an idea of solidity and to give the building a solid mass. Other parts of the facade were covered in gold bricks (symbolizing fire), and the entry was decorated with marble and black mirrors. Once again, the talents of Rene Paul Chambellan were employed by Howells and Hood for the ornamentation and sculptures.
In 1998, the building was sold to Philip Pilevsky for $150 million. Three years afterwards, the American Radiator Building was converted into The Bryant Park Hotel with 130 rooms and a theatre in the basement.
We’d love to hear your views on this:
More inspiring stories on DYT:
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy Views today: 98,107 - Photography
- The Russia You’ll Never See On Postcards Through The Lens Of Photographer Alexander Petrosyan Views today: 32,342 - Photography
- Powerful NSFW Photos From The 2017 Birth Photo Competition Prove That Moms Are Badass Views today: 6,263 - Photography
- Awkward Metal Band Photos Views today: 2,239 - Photography
- American Women Mugshots In The 1960s Views today: 1,400 - Photography
- Finnish Woman Creates Controversial Self Portraits, Calls It Art Views today: 1,233 - Inspirations
- Family Leaves Husky For 3 Hours, Dog Redesigns The Apartment Views today: 1,184 - Animals
- Instagram’s ‘Bros Being Basic’ Shows Men Recreating Clichéd Snaps Of Women Views today: 1,139 - Inspirations
- Awkward Christian Music Album Covers Views today: 1,047 - Inspirations
- A Meditative Photo Series Shows Tokyo’s Loneliest Moments Views today: 936 - Photography
- These NSFW Photos Show What It’s Like Behind The Scenes Of A Love Doll Factory In Japan Views today: 809 - Technology
- It Is Not The World Of Smiles: Enchanted NSFW Dolls By Marina Bychkova Views today: 696 - Design
- Russian Dental Clinic N2 – Probably The Scariest Dental Clinic In The World Views today: 640 - Travel
- Photographer Olgaç Bozalp Captures Fashion People In Iran, And It’s Not Easy Views today: 597 - Photography
- This Guy Photoshops His Dog Into A Giant In All His Pics And It’s Hilarious Views today: 582 - Inspirations