Paris’ Utopian Village Of Concrete Cabbage
This hypnotic, vegetable utopia might look like it rolled out of a Stanley Kubrick film set, but it was in fact the dream project of French architect Gérard Grandval.
In the wake of WWII, architecture had been about building for many, and building fast, resulting in rather boxy structures. But Grandval had a grander vision, and championed an “organic design” philosophy when drafting plans for the city’s new social housing.
“The flower is my anti-cube,” he said about the site, “everything looked the same back then. Créteil was my chance to do something different.”
Grandval said he actually drew inspiration from Dahlias while drafting up the plans, but that locals “thought the buildings looked like cabbages or cauliflower, so the name stuck” A natural comparison, given that the region was a large producer of the staple French veggie.
It’s true that the utopia didn’t quite work out as planned. The upkeep for the structures was tedious, the apartments had little storage, and the balconies never became sprawling with plant life. In 2008, the government classified the site as a historic landmark. Today, the Créteil Cabbages are seen as a beloved, albeit awkward, testament to the groovy French idealism of the 1970s.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- German Photographer Carsten Thun Captures Provocative Photos Of Dancers In Unlikely Settings
- The Spectacular Winning Photos Of The 2018 Birth Becomes Her Photography Contest
- “Welcome To The Mystically Beautiful World Of Your Nightmares”: The Superb Digital Art By Stefan Koidl
- Photographer Boris Leist Captures The World’s Most Hardcore Live Action Role Players
- Accidents Waiting To Happen Thanks To These Architects And Designers
- Chinese Women Use These Swimsuits To Keep Their Skin White
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Burning Man 2017: Stunning Photos From The World’s Biggest And Craziest Festival
- Fascinating Photographs Capture Daily Life In Russia Just After The Collapse Of The Soviet Union
- “From Russia With Love”: NSFW & Beauty Female Photography By Tatiana Mertsalova
- Sports Illustrated Hails Female Empowerment In NSFW Unedited Photo Shoot
- Beautiful Winning Photos Of The International Garden Photographer Of The Year
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- Spectacular Winning Photos Of The 2017 International Photographer Of The Year Contest