You’ll Poke Someone’s Eye Out With Those Things: Bullet Bras From The 1940s And 1950s
Bullet Bra is a full-support bra with cups in the shape of a paraboloid with its axis perpendicular to the breast. The bullet bra usually features concentric circles or spirals of decorative stitching centred on the nipples.
Invented in the late-1940s, they became popular in the 1950s, and worn by the Sweater Girl, a busty and wholesome “girl next door” whose tight-fitting outergarments accentuated her artificially enhanced curves.
These photos show young women, mostly Hollywood actresses, who worn bullet bras from between 1940s and 1950s.
Here’s what Wikipedia has to say regarding the Bullet bra’s history:
Military terminology crept into product marketing, as represented by the highly structured, conically pointed Torpedo or Bullet bra, designed for “maximum projection”. The bullet bra was worn by the Sweater Girl, a busty and wholesome “girl next door” whose tight-fitting outer garments accentuated her artificially enhanced curves.
More Inspiring Stories On DYT:
- Woman Flawlessly Retakes Her Study Abroad Photos, 30 Years Later
- Guy Discovers He Can Go Anywhere While Wearing A Hi-Vis Vest
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- More Than 4,000 Photographs From The D-Day Invasion Of Normandy Are Now Available Online
- Toilet Timer: The Anatomically Significant Sand Timer For Procrastinators
- “The World In Faces”: Photographer’s Incredible Portraits Of People Who Live In Some Of The Most Remote Corners Of The Earth
- A Look Back At Playboy Bunny Girls
- Bees Under The Macro Lens
- “Geometric Variants”, An Optical Illusion Photography Project By Erika Zolli
- Japanese Artist Nobuhiro Nakanishi Creates Fantastic Layered Drawings
- When A Glimpse Of Stocking Was Something Shocking: Vintage NSFW Postcards Of 1920’s Flappers
- Creative Mom Paints On Skylight To Make Her Daughter Go To Kindergarten Class
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master
- Stunning Digital Surreal Art By Mikhail Batrak
- Stylish Vintage Photos From The Stock Photography Agencies In The 1970s
- Photographer Kourtney Roy Makes Eerie Self-Portraits In Desolate Yet Dramatic Locations
- The Explosive And Twisted Illustrations By Mike Hughes
- Sex Machines: Photographs and Interviews By Timothy Archibald
- The Fantastically Sculptural Architecture Of Cyril Lancelin
- Chinese Airline’s New Haute Couture Uniforms Puts Other Airlines To Shame
- McDonald’s Launches New Clothing Line
- This Woman Has Dedicated Her Life To Taking Pictures Of The Oldest Trees On The Planet
- Welcome To Heimat: An Enchanted NSFW Trip Through Bavaria With Photographer Ellen Von Unwerth
- Artist Gianluca Gimini Reinterprets Vintage Italian Brands As Sneakers
- Taipei Subway Cars Have Been Decorated To Simulate Various Sports Venues During The Coming Universiade In Taiwan