Named one of the “50 Best Inventions of 2011” by TIME Magazine.
AeroVironment is developing the Nano Air Vehicle (NAV) under a DARPA sponsored research contract to develop a new class of air vehicle systems capable of indoor and outdoor operation. Employing biological mimicry at an extremely small scale, this unconventional aircraft could someday provide new reconnaissance and surveillance capabilities in urban environments.
The Nano Hummingbird met all, and exceeded many, of the Phase II technical milestones set out by DARPA:
– Demonstrate precision hover flight.
– Demonstrate hover stability in a wind gust flight which required the aircraft to hover and tolerate a two-meter per second (five miles per hour) wind gust from the side, without drifting downwind more than one meter.
– Demonstrate a continuous hover endurance of eight minutes with no external power source.
– Fly and demonstrate controlled, transition flight from hover to 11 miles per hour fast forward flight and back to hover flight.
– Demonstrate flying from outdoors to indoors, and back outdoors through a normal-size doorway.
– Demonstrate flying indoors ‘heads-down’ where the pilot operates the aircraft only looking at the live video image stream from the aircraft, without looking at or hearing the aircraft directly.
– Fly the aircraft in hover and fast forward flight with bird-shaped body and bird-shaped wings.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- Magnificent NSFW Beauty Photography By Stepan Kvardakov
- Spectacular Winners Of The Hasselblad Masters Award 2018
- “Butcher Billy’s Tales Of The Unexpected Black Mirrors”: The Episodes Of Season 4 Turned Into Vintage Comics
- Photographer Captures Intimate And Unguarded Portraits Of Porn Stars
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- From Australia With Love – Beauty Photography By Chris Dwyer
- The Incredible Art Of Maciej Kuciara, Who’s Worked On The Last Of Us, Ghost In The Shell & Crysis
- The Best Photographs Of 2017 – By The People Who Shot Them
- 30 Captivating Historical Photographs Which You Need To See
- Here’s What’s Happening Outside Of Famous Music Album Covers
- Turbo-Reactive Diesel-Punk: Flying Retro Cars By Alejandro Burdisio
- Meet Elena Deligioz, Probably The Most Beautiful Female Cosplay Soldier In The World
- Norwegian Artist Nikolai Lockertsen Creates Amazing Concept Art By Using iPad As A Canvas
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- Gorgeous Female Portraits By Kevin Mathison
- 100-Year-Old Negatives Discovered In Block Of Ice In Antarctica
- Snowlandia – World’s Largest Snow Labyrinth Opens In Poland
- This Modern Cat Tree Designed To Feel Your Cats At Anytime
- These Neon-Soaked Cityscapes Make South Africa Look Like Hong Kong
- Retro Photos In WTF Style
- Vintage, Rare, Candid, Funny, Beautiful, Weird And Awesome Celebrity Photos
- This Guy Bought A Giant Plastic Godzilla, And Now They Travel Everywhere Together
- These Ads From Haiti Hope To Use Trump’s Words Against Him
- Assistant Professor Of Design Makes Honest Charts That Sum Up A Designer’s Life
- Japanese Photographer Captures Very Sad Stray Cats And Their Games