This Artist Has Created Some Awesomely Geeky Nesting Dolls
Nesting dolls (or matryoshka dolls as you may know them) are elegantly created and painted with intricate designs and colors on each, from the largest of the set down to the most diminutive in the collection. The first of these popular dolls were designed by folk crafts painter Sergey Malyutin in Russia in 1890, and since then, artists have set about dressing the dolls in variations ranging from holiday wear to the traditional clothing of other cultures.
Star Wars Return of the Jedi Nesting Dolls
But now, San Francisco-based illustrator Andy Stattmiller has decided to push nesting dolls in a slightly different direction with his own unique twist on the wooden keepsakes.
Pulp Fiction Nesting Dolls
Stattmiller’s collections are painted with acrylic on wood—just as traditional matryoshka dolls tend to be—however, these particular ones have evolved into more familiar territory, adopting the guises of heroes such as Iron Man, Archie, Star Wars, “The Dude” Lebowski and even Forrest Gump. The dolls range from the largest standing at about 7 inches down to the smallest at 0.75 inches, and pack inside each other as normal to make a cool little set.
Robin Williams Nesting Dolls
Sadly, the dolls are specially commissioned, though they are often seen at art galleries and occasionally auctioned on eBay for particular charitable causes.
Batman Nesting Dolls
Forrest Gump Nesting Dolls
Office Space Nesting Dolls
Big Lebowski Nesting Dolls
Breaking Bad Babushka Dolls
Street Fighter Nesting Dolls
Better Call Saul
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Forensic Artist Reconstructs Face From A Skull-Shaped Vodka Bottle
- Italian Artist Illustrates the Sad Truth of Modern Life
- Once You See These Rare Historical Photos, You’ll Never Forget Them
- Rare Photographs Reveal British Soldiers Manning Anti-Aircraft Guns in Full Drag in World War II
- Amazing Photographs Capture Punk Scenes in East Germany During the 1980s
- Valentin Pavageau, the Traveler of a Psychedelic Universe
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- These Photos Will Blow Your Mind – Russia In The 90s Through The Lens With French Photographer Lise Sarfati
- This Instagram Account Creates Sinister Parodies of Kid’s Cooks To Ruin Your Childhood Memories