Astonishing Fairy Tale Photos Help Sick Kids Enjoy Magic Moments
Through her photography business, Fairyography, Heather Larkin dresses children in beautiful, make-believe costumes and photographs them playing pretend in fairy tale scenes, dressed up as fairy princesses or storybook characters.
But after two of her clients later died — one of pediatric brain cancer and one of a heart condition — the Georgia-based photographer realized that the greatest gift she could give families struggling with childhood illness or trauma was a set of photos that captured their child’s beauty and innocence.
So Larkin created the Sabina Hartley-Burke and Ava Jane Gibson Memorial Princess Sessions, a yearly contest she holds to find families to gift with her images. Each August, friends and family members nominate children who have a medical or genetic condition, or have suffered trauma or abuse, to win a photo session, print package and photo book, donated by Larkin in memory of her former clients.
“When Sabina died, it was heartbreaking for me. I attended her funeral and sent images (of my shoot with her) for her parents to use in the service. They sent me a note later on that said, ‘You will never know how much these images mean to us — they’re all we have left of her,'” Larkin told TODAY Parents. “As heartbreaking as it was for me — it was worse for her parents. And, I realized it’s worse for those people who go through all of this and have nothing to remember from the happy times with their child.”
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Artist Shows Us What Famous Characters Would Look Like In Real Life
- Heart-Warming Illustrations of True Love in All Its Beauty and Joy
- “Art of The Doodler”: Fyodor Dostoevsky Draws In His Manuscripts
- The Future Imagined in Albert Robida’s “La vie électrique,” 1890
- French Artist Adds Celebrities Into Classical Paintings
- Fascinating Images from the Past You Won’t Find in Any History Textbook
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Japanese Artist Creates Incredible Realistic Intimate Garments from Ceramics
- Winning Photos Of TDM Street Photography Awards 2021
- Travels: Winners & Merit Awards Of AAP Magazine’s Photo Contest