Vietnam Veterans Dog Tag Memorial In Chicago
Photo: Charles Rex Arbogast
At the Harold Washington Library in Chicago is a new art installation called “Above and Beyond” featuring over 58,000 replica dog tags — one for each American soldier killed in the Vietnam War. The dog tags, each hung one inch apart, are suspended from the ceiling from a 410-square-foot rectangle. Each dog tag lists the soldier’s name, military branch and date of death. Nearby is a touch panel display that allows visitors to look up a veteran’s name and find generally where the soldier’s dog tag is hanging. It is the only memorial other than The Wall in Washington, D.C., that lists every individual killed in Vietnam.
Photo: courtesy the Chicago Public Library
“The search for a spot for “Above and Beyond” was complicated by the size and weight of the piece, not to mention it is viewed best in natural light so the sun can play off the tags,” wrote Annie Sweeney on Chicago Tribune. “Viewing it from all sides also enhances the experience.”
Photo: Tim Boyle, courtesy Getty Images
Above and Beyond was created by artists Ned Broderick, Rick Steinbock, Joe Fornelli, and Mike Helbing, back in 2001 and originally hung at the National Veterans Art Museum, in Chicago.
Photo: Brooke Anderson, via Flickr
Photo: courtesy the National Veterans Art Museum
Photo: courtesy War Memorial HQ
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Shocking Photographs Show Japanese Drinkers Using Pavements, Doorways And A Plant Pot As Impromptu Pillows After Succumbing To The Effects Of Alcohol
- Maggie Out: Striking And Depressive Photographs Captured Everyday Life In Glasgow In 1980
- Wonderful Intimate Photos Of Women Villagers Who Run The Show In Rural Russia
- Russian Soul In A Nutshell: Honest Photography By Dmitry Markov
- Inverted Solo House Pyramid By TNA Architects
- Spectacular Winning Photos From The World Sports Photography Awards 2020
- Photographer Asked 16 Artists To Draw His Portrait Photos In Their Own Style, And The Result Is Fabulous!
- This 16-Year-Old Vegan Teenager Turns His Food Into Stunning Art
- This Teen Spent 400 Hours Creating A COVID-Themed Prom Dress Using Duct Tape
- Brilliant Book Dedications