Engineer Grandfather Turns His Backyard Into An Amusement Park For His Grandkids
Tired of waiting in lines at amusement parks? So was Steve Dobbs of Fullerton, California. More than that, though, the loving grandfather wanted his grandchildren to have a reason to come over to his house and spend time with him. Living so close to the Happiest Place on Earth in Anaheim, he could feel the pressure building that somehow, he needed to outdo Disneyland’s magical allure. Dobbs told the OC Register that “Disneyland is tough to compete with,” but he wasn’t going to give up.
With his 30 years of experience as an aerospace engineer for Boeing, Dobbs began tinkering around with old Madame Alexander dolls that his wife was planning to throw out. Once he attached motors to them and affixed them inside a tunnel (whose walls were made of completed Christmas jigsaw puzzles), he noticed the dolls had a special “It’s a Small World” quality about them. He built a train track for the children’s electric Thomas the Tank Engine cars to ride on. Seeing his grandchildren’s delighted faces, Dobbs was inspired to keep building.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Heroic and Fantasy Pin-Up Female Portraits by Kyu Yong Eom
- Milo Manara Comic Art You’ve Probably Never Seen
- Portraits of Lovely Ladies Featured on the Covers of Radio Control Modeler Magazines From the 1970s and 1980s
- Fascinating Nostalgic Black and White Photos of Daily Life in Michigan in 1970s and ’80s
- The Mind’s Dream and its Monsters: Creepy Illustrations by Daniel Peacock
- “I Paint Big B”: The Fantasy Beauties of Zumi
- Inspirational Female Portraits by Eva Balloon
- This Guy Makes 3D Printed Helmets For His Cat
- Cutest ‘Angular’ Animals and Characters by Nathan Pangilinan
- Sad and Happy Moments on the Photos of Boris Register