Fascinating Photos Of A Frozen Niagara Falls Taken This Year
As winter descends upon North America, the tourist crowds at Niagara Falls thin and the landscape transforms.
3,000 tons of still flow over the edge during every minute that passes, but in winter, some of that water ends up hardening into ice. Little by little, if the temperature stays low enough, the waterfall will eventually grow a thin shell of ice.
Though the falls will likely never freeze into a solid mass of stationary ice, it’s not uncommon for the area below the falls to grow a sturdy “ice bridge” due to accumulated spray from the falls. According to history, the bridge used to freeze so solidly that visitors could walk between the US and Canada and vendors would even set up stalls on it.
Continuing with our Winter enjoyment, we went to Niagara Falls today. Due to the extreme cold, the ice formations were incredible! I think I prefer the beauty of the falls in the winter more than in the summer. Here are some of my favourite shots. . #niagarafalls #niagara #ontario #canada #hobbyphotographer #winter #ice #photography
A rare look of #niagrafalls in winter time. Freezing water particles on surrounding create beautiful frozen scenery #winterwonderland #winter #frozenniagarafalls #frozenniagara #frozenniagrafalls #niagrafallscanada #niagrafallsusa #winterniagarafalls #winterniagara #frozenfalls #canada #frozen #snow #breathtaking #canon #happynewyear2018
Though known for its hundreds of acres of lush terrain and trails conducive to hiking, Niagara Falls State Park boasts equally stunning views even as temperatures drop and crowds thin. Right now, the Falls are completely coated in ice — and absolutely jaw-dropping. More than 3,000 tons of water flows over the Falls every second. Sometimes the ice over the Niagara River at the base of the falls gets so thick that people have been known to build concession stands across it or walk back and forth between the U.S. and Canada. Photos by Aaron Lynett/The Canadian Press via AP
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Japan’s First Female Photojournalist Is Still Shooting At The Age Of 101
- Zero Fucks Coins Allow You To Literally Give Zero Fucks
- Streamliners: Locomotives And Bullet Trains In The Age Of Speed And Style
- Awkward 1970s Male Fashion
- There’s An Online Community That Makes Fun Of People Trying To Sell Mirrors
- Norwegian Artist Makes ‘Pillows’ From White Marble
- Rare Weird And Funny Pictures Show Hilarious Side Of Victorian Era Life
- Russian Artist Illustrates What Would Happen If Famous Characters Got Old, And Thor Is Too Cute
- Rusty 1961 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster Barn Find Sells For Staggering $800,000