“Me & My TRS-80”: Kids And Their Computers In The 1980s
I don’t know about you, but nothing warms my heart more than the sight of a photograph of kid at a personal computer in the 1980s. A pleasant whiff of nostalgia mixed with interesting paleo-technology, makes for a great image. Let’s have a look at a handful of images of kids and families as history was being made: when computers first entered our schools and homes…
On the old Radio Shack display: “Marvin couldn’t understand Earth people very well. That’s why Marvin came to me. He knew that I was Computer Charlie. He knew that I was one of the biggest brains around.”
From Kilobaud Microcomputing magazine, 1979.
(L) From a 1981 Radio Shack catalog, (R) from a 1988 issue of Računari.
From a 1988 Radio Shack catalog.
1987 Teenagers who could really have used wireless keyboards.
I can’t quite tell what this boy is doing on the computer – I just know he’s loving every minute of it.
(L) From the cover of the Apple II reference manual, (R) This kid is “EXCITED!” by his school’s new TRS-80.
From the 1983 book: How to Feel at Home with a Home Computer.
From New York magazine, January 1984.
Radio Shack 1981.
Run magazine, March 1985.
From Family Computing magazine, October 1983.
From the cover of Kilobaud Microcomputing magazine, June 1980.
From the cover of The Home Computer Course 5: Mastering Your Home Computer in 24 Weeks.
From the book, Living with Computers by Patrick G. Mckeown.
From the cover of Creative Computing magazine, March 1980.
TRS-80 Microcomputer News, July 1983.
Detail from a 1985 Datasouth advertisement.
From Family Computing magazine, September 1983.
Detail from a 1985 Tandy 1000 advertisement.
Ad from Family Computing magazine, September 1983.
- How Far From Home: Couple of Adventure Hunters Share Breathtaking Shots Of Unique Places
- Before Facebook: This Is How We Used to Unfriend People Back Then
- Expressive Text Loops, Folds, And Ties Itself In Knots In 3D Murals By Pref
- Bizarre And Creepy Vintage Christmas Cards From The Victorian Era
- Worst Christmas Album Covers Of All Time
- Quirky And Daring: Best Soviet Concept Cars
- Canadian Artist Draws Pictures That Are As Warm As A Cup Of Hot Chocolate
- Russian Museum Has Created Christmas Tree From The Dissected LADA
- Polish Photographer Ewelina Zych Proves You’re Not A Real Photographer In Slavic Country If You Don’t Have A Rural Photo-Shoot
- Spectacular Winning Photos Of The British Ecological Society Photo Competition 2018