Hundreds Of Dogs And Puppies Live In Chernobyl—And You Can Adopt One
In 1986, tragedy struck the Chernobyl power plant in Ukraine when the Unit 4 reactor failed, spewing nuclear waste and radiation throughout the nearby city of Pripyat. The Soviet Union evacuated 120,000 people and established what is now known as the Exclusion Zone, covering 1,000 square miles. Those forced out of their homes had to leave behind their pets. And like first responders to the disaster, these dogs and other animals were subject to radiation.
Now, over 30 years later, hundreds of stray dogs live in and around the power plant, along with scores of other animals that call Chernobyl home. Though efforts have been made to cull the canine population, the dogs of Chernobyl have proven remarkably hardy.
Now, they’re getting a chance to live in loving homes, thanks to the efforts of multiple nonprofit organizations devoted to animal welfare. In 2017, these organizations began offering the Chernobyl dogs medical attention. In May 2018, they brought the first batch of dogs to the United States to experience life outside the Exclusion Zone.
One of the most striking things about the dogs living in Chernobyl is that they’re all relatively young – most do not live to be older than four years. Although disease, malnutrition, and wolves and others predators contribute to their short lives, the main cause of death is harsh Ukrainian winters.
Four Paws, an organization devoted to helping animals in need, and the Clean Futures Fund, which supports “communities affected by industrial accidents,” have partnered to help dogs living in the Exclusion Zone. Their goal is to spay, neuter, and vaccinate the dogs – not only to stop breeding, but also to protect them from rabies and other contagious diseases they’ve been exposed to while living in the wild.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Beautiful Photos Of People’s Choice Award For Wildlife Photographer Of The Year 2021
- German Artist Shows What’s Problematic About Modern Societies In His Illustrations
- People Are Hilariously Roasting ‘Target’ Fashion Designers By Taking These Pics Wearing Their Dresses
- The Winners Of Hasselblad Masters 2021 Photo Competition
- Fascinating Black and White Pictures of New York Street Life in the Late 1960s
- Funny Comics With Unexpected Endings By Scribbly G
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Found Photos Show Fashion Styles of ’80s Young Women
- Jay Ohrberg’s Bizarre Double-Wide Limousine From the 1980s
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers