“The Short And Tragic Romance”: Photos Of Nancy Spungen And Sid Vicious Together In 1978
Spungen left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where she worked as a stripper and prostitute. She followed bands such as Aerosmith, Bad Company, The New York Dolls, and Ramones. In 1977, she moved to London, possibly to win over Jerry Nolan of the Dolls and The Heartbreakers, but met the Sex Pistols instead. When lead singer Johnny Rotten showed no interest in her, she pursued bassist Sid Vicious, and they soon moved in together.
During a tumultuous 19-month relationship, Spungen and Vicious (who was already abusing multiple drugs) became addicted to heroin and other drugs. The tabloids dubbed Spungen “Nauseating Nancy” for her frequent public displays of verbal abuse and violence. After the Sex Pistols broke up in January 1978, Spungen and Vicious moved to the Hotel Chelsea in New York City. They stayed in room 100, registered as “Mr. and Mrs. John Simon Ritchie”, Vicious’s real name.
Over the next few months, Vicious and Spungen spiraled into deeper drug abuse punctuated by domestic violence, with Vicious allegedly attacking Spungen. Their relationship ended violently on October 12, 1978 when Spungen’s body was found under the sink in the bathroom of their room at Hotel Chelsea. Spungen had suffered a single fatal stab wound to the abdomen.
Reportedly owned the knife that made the wound. Vicious was immediately arrested and charged with second degree murder. He pleaded not guilty and was released on bail. Four months after Nancy’s death, he died of a heroin overdose before the trial could take place and, consequently, the NYPD closed the case.
Spungen was buried in the King David Memorial Park in Bensalem, Pennsylvania. These photos captured moments of Nancy Spungen and Sid Vicious together in 1978.
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- Stunning Photos Of Chinese ‘Nail Houses’ That Defy Developers
- Misspelled Tattoos: Permanent And Hilarious
- Intimate Photos Of Sharon Tate Gives Her Husband Roman Polanski A Haircut In 1968
- French Photographer Visited Chernobyl, And The Captivating Photos Show Just How Suddenly Time Stopped In Its Tracks After The Disaster
- Baby Car Seats From the Mid-20th Century Moms Wouldn’t Buy Today
- Photographer Exposes The Truth Behind His ‘Perfect’ Photos
- 40 Funniest Finalists For Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2019
- Burning Man 2019 Mega-Post: Fantastic Photos From The World’s Biggest And Craziest Festival
- Meet Maria Oz – The Girl With Amazingly Big Eyes
- Shocking Before and After Composite Portraits of Drug Abuse