“The Short And Tragic Romance”: Photos Of Nancy Spungen And Sid Vicious Together In 1978
Spungen left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where she worked as a stripper and prostitute. She followed bands such as Aerosmith, Bad Company, The New York Dolls, and Ramones. In 1977, she moved to London, possibly to win over Jerry Nolan of the Dolls and The Heartbreakers, but met the Sex Pistols instead. When lead singer Johnny Rotten showed no interest in her, she pursued bassist Sid Vicious, and they soon moved in together.
During a tumultuous 19-month relationship, Spungen and Vicious (who was already abusing multiple drugs) became addicted to heroin and other drugs. The tabloids dubbed Spungen “Nauseating Nancy” for her frequent public displays of verbal abuse and violence. After the Sex Pistols broke up in January 1978, Spungen and Vicious moved to the Hotel Chelsea in New York City. They stayed in room 100, registered as “Mr. and Mrs. John Simon Ritchie”, Vicious’s real name.
Over the next few months, Vicious and Spungen spiraled into deeper drug abuse punctuated by domestic violence, with Vicious allegedly attacking Spungen. Their relationship ended violently on October 12, 1978 when Spungen’s body was found under the sink in the bathroom of their room at Hotel Chelsea. Spungen had suffered a single fatal stab wound to the abdomen.
Reportedly owned the knife that made the wound. Vicious was immediately arrested and charged with second degree murder. He pleaded not guilty and was released on bail. Four months after Nancy’s death, he died of a heroin overdose before the trial could take place and, consequently, the NYPD closed the case.
Spungen was buried in the King David Memorial Park in Bensalem, Pennsylvania. These photos captured moments of Nancy Spungen and Sid Vicious together in 1978.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- How Male Beauty Standards Have Changed Over 100 Years
- Beautiful Photos of Jane Birkin at Home Taken by Jean-Claude Deutsch in 1971
- ‘80s Pop Culture Icons as McDonald’s Happy Meal Toys
- Joyful Illustrations of the Artist Who Misses Soviet Days
- Stunning Winners Of The One Eyeland World’s Top Wedding Photographers 2021
- Amazing Snapshots Capture Street Life in New York City From the Mid-1930s to the End of the 1940s
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Stunning Winning Photos Of The Drone Photo Awards 2021
- Photographer Captures Couples Who Switch Outfits, and the Results Are Hilarious
- Artist Creates Brilliant Comics For People Who Like Dark Humor