Provocative Images of Young Men in Blue Jeans in Post-War Switzerland
An unsung pioneer of vernacular photography since the 1950s, Karlheinz Weinberger (1921–2006) captured a young generation of Swiss rebels who were greatly influenced by American culture.
For most of his adult life, Weinberger worked in the warehouse department of the Siemens-Albis factory in Zurich. In his free time, he escaped his job’s monotony by immersing himself in photography. His artistic career began by taking photographs for the gay underground Zurich club and magazine Der Kreis, taking candid shots of lovers, friends and strangers on the street with an overt erotic investment in his subjects.
In 1958 Weinberger met a small group of teenagers known as “Halbstark” (or “half strong”). The group was comprised of working class boys and girls dissatisfied with the conservative Swiss climate. Its members demonstrated their anti- establishment stance with embellished outfits of denim and leather, in an exaggerated and homemade version of the popularized American bad-boy style of the time.
Weinberger captured the unfiltered attitude of the group in the parks and fairgrounds that they gathered while processing and developing the photos in his home makeshift studio. In his stark, posed photographs of these young rebels, Weinberger focused on individual figures, exploring both a personal erotic obsession and the cultural symbolism of blue jeans, whose scarcity in post war Switzerland implied not just a fashion statement but a badge of pride.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Funny Animal Pics That Just Don’t Make Any Sense, As Shared On This Instagram Account
- The Most Impressive Photos From The Ocean Photography Awards 2021 Finalists
- Sensual Black and White Portrait Photos of Goldie Hawn Taken by Joseph Klipple in 1964
- There’s an Atmospheric Abandoned Jurassic Park Located in the Heart of Russia
- Artist Creates Very Detailed Scary Images And The More You Look, The More Frightening They Become
- Playfully Illustrated Surfboards By Jean Jullien
- Artist Shows Us What Famous Characters Would Look Like In Real Life
- “Empty Home”: The Superb Dark, Surreal and Sci-Fi Artworks of Miko del Rosario
- 30 Thought-Provoking And Honest Illustrations About Our Lives By Stephan Schmitz
- This Artist Drew These 30 Animals So “Badly”, It Might Be A New Style