Baby Car Seats From the Mid-20th Century Moms Wouldn’t Buy Today
Car seats today are standardized and must follow strict safety regulations. However, it wasn’t that long ago that rules didn’t exist. The Bunny Bear Company made child seats in 1933, however the devices were mainly intended to stop kids from moving around the car.
By the 1960s, the ring, the bottle and the teat protector were being manufactured out of polypropylene. Car seats were originally designed as booster chairs so children could look out the window of a moving car. It was only in 1962 that the first safe car seats were designed. These functioned as both booster seats and safety precautions for children in cars.
Child safety wasn’t top of mind until the late 1960s and early 1970s when General Motors came out with the Infant Love Seat and the Ford Motor Company released the Tot-Guard.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) set the first standards for car seats. In 1971, drivers were required to use child car seats, using the standard seat belts. However, this law was not usually enforced.
By the 1980s parents and the laws became more sensible and car safety for children was a top concern. All children under certain ages were required to have a proper car seat. Police started enforcing the laws, though inconsistently .
Whether you are a parent, grandparent, bus driver, neighbor or friend keeping our children safe in the car is of utmost importance!
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Beautiful Photos of Jane Birkin at Home Taken by Jean-Claude Deutsch in 1971
- This Elderly German Couple Steals The Show Every Time They Go Out
- French Artist Creates Illustrations That Challenge Society’s Standards For Women
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Photographer Captures Couples Who Switch Outfits, and the Results Are Hilarious
- Space Colony Art from the 1970s
- These Photographs Of Fathers And Their Sons Reveal The Full Wonder Of Human Genes
- Artist Illustrates The Sad Reality Of Animal Cruelty And Shows How Factory Farming Harms Our Planet
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Russian Artist Draw Interesting Pupils Of The Eyes, Here Are 11 Of Them