Baby Car Seats From the Mid-20th Century Moms Wouldn’t Buy Today
Car seats today are standardized and must follow strict safety regulations. However, it wasn’t that long ago that rules didn’t exist. The Bunny Bear Company made child seats in 1933, however the devices were mainly intended to stop kids from moving around the car.
By the 1960s, the ring, the bottle and the teat protector were being manufactured out of polypropylene. Car seats were originally designed as booster chairs so children could look out the window of a moving car. It was only in 1962 that the first safe car seats were designed. These functioned as both booster seats and safety precautions for children in cars.
Child safety wasn’t top of mind until the late 1960s and early 1970s when General Motors came out with the Infant Love Seat and the Ford Motor Company released the Tot-Guard.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) set the first standards for car seats. In 1971, drivers were required to use child car seats, using the standard seat belts. However, this law was not usually enforced.
By the 1980s parents and the laws became more sensible and car safety for children was a top concern. All children under certain ages were required to have a proper car seat. Police started enforcing the laws, though inconsistently .
Whether you are a parent, grandparent, bus driver, neighbor or friend keeping our children safe in the car is of utmost importance!
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Woman Spends Up to 11 Hours Turning Herself Into the Most Stunning Optical Illusions
- Found Photos Show Fashion Styles of Young Women in the Late 1980s and Early ’90s
- The Finalists of The 2020 Comedy Pet Photography Awards Have Been Announced, and They’re Pretty Damn Funny!
- This Tattoo Artist Specializes in ‘Secret Tattoos’ on the Roof of the Mouth
- Cowboys and Indians: Incredible Western Paintings by Mark Maggiori
- Stunning Aerial Photos Shows Luxury Cruise Ships Being Broken Up At a Dock in Turkey
- Indian Photographer Recreates Realistic Miniature Brands on His Desktop
- This Instagram Account Points Out How Much Celebrity Faces Have Changed Over The Years
- Stuck In The Real World: Characters From Cartoons And Movies Placed In Real Photos
- This Is How Our Beautiful Planet Earth Looks from Above These Days of Global Pandemic