Disturbing Vintage Medical Illustrations That Will Shock You
Back in the 19th century (long before any form of multimedia existed) the principles and practices of surgery had to be illustrated to help educate and inform those wishing to forge a career in the medical field. From individual surgical techniques to the types of instruments and devices used – each graphic illustration served as an engrossing and accurate portrayal of the approach and methodology to medicine during that era.
These 19th century depictions of various medical procedures were recently collated and published by medical historian Richard Barnett in his book ‘An Illustrated Treatise on the Principles & Practice of Nineteenth-Century Surgery‘. It serves as a fascinating and equally morbid insight into the ever changing world of medicine and man’s approach to prolonging life itself.
Via So Bad So Good
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- Magnificent NSFW Beauty Photography By Stepan Kvardakov
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- #HerWhite: Gorgeous Black And White Beauty Photography By Dmitry Bocharov
- Fascinating Black And White Photos That Capture Everyday Life Of The United States From Between The 1950s And 1960s
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- Gorgeous Female Portraits By Kevin Mathison
- These Ads From Haiti Hope To Use Trump’s Words Against Him
- Retro Photos In WTF Style
- Jenn Brown Captures Amazing Photos Of Abandoned Places Across The USA
- Funny Illustrations That Show The Two Kinds Of People In The World
- No Pants Subway Ride 2018
- Spectacular Winners Of The Hasselblad Masters Award 2018
- “In A Parallel Universe”: Artist Exposes Sexism By Switching Up Gender Roles In Old-School Ads
- Belarusian Photographer Captures The Beauty Of Women’s Bodies In Gorgeous Erotic Photos
- This Paper Memo Pad Excavates Hidden Objects As It Gets Used
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- This Guy Bought A Giant Plastic Godzilla, And Now They Travel Everywhere Together
- Big Shout Out To One Of The World’s Most Inspiring Grandmas!
- Everyday Is Hump Day For The Photographer Fedor Shmidt
- Portrait Series Of Immigrants Restages And Signifies The Importance Of African Settlers In Europe Throughout History And Present Day
- The Tiny Tree House Sits Within A Forest In France
- Fashion Is The Focus For Australian Photographer-In-Demand Ali Mitton
- This Dreadful Emptiness: Dark And Depressive Illustrations By Aron Wiesenfeld
- “Shape Shifting Birds”: Photographer Captures Stunning Photos Of The Murmurations Of Starlings
- An Adventure In Unknowing: Totally Amazing Illustrations By Sylvain Sarrailh