Disturbing Vintage Medical Illustrations That Will Shock You
Back in the 19th century (long before any form of multimedia existed) the principles and practices of surgery had to be illustrated to help educate and inform those wishing to forge a career in the medical field. From individual surgical techniques to the types of instruments and devices used – each graphic illustration served as an engrossing and accurate portrayal of the approach and methodology to medicine during that era.
These 19th century depictions of various medical procedures were recently collated and published by medical historian Richard Barnett in his book ‘An Illustrated Treatise on the Principles & Practice of Nineteenth-Century Surgery‘. It serves as a fascinating and equally morbid insight into the ever changing world of medicine and man’s approach to prolonging life itself.
Via So Bad So Good
- How Far From Home: Couple of Adventure Hunters Share Breathtaking Shots Of Unique Places
- Before Facebook: This Is How We Used to Unfriend People Back Then
- Bizarre And Creepy Vintage Christmas Cards From The Victorian Era
- Worst Christmas Album Covers Of All Time
- Expressive Text Loops, Folds, And Ties Itself In Knots In 3D Murals By Pref
- Gibson Girls: The Sexiest Women Of All Time
- Quirky And Daring: Best Soviet Concept Cars
- Man Noticed This Abandoned Hangar But Whats Inside Caught Him By Surprise
- “Small Town Noir” – Twenty-One ’30s And ’40s Mugshots From New Castle, Pennsylvania
- “The Death Of Colossus”: Striking Candid Photographs That Capture Everyday Life In The USSR In 1984-1989