Disturbing Vintage Medical Illustrations That Will Shock You
Back in the 19th century (long before any form of multimedia existed) the principles and practices of surgery had to be illustrated to help educate and inform those wishing to forge a career in the medical field. From individual surgical techniques to the types of instruments and devices used – each graphic illustration served as an engrossing and accurate portrayal of the approach and methodology to medicine during that era.
These 19th century depictions of various medical procedures were recently collated and published by medical historian Richard Barnett in his book ‘An Illustrated Treatise on the Principles & Practice of Nineteenth-Century Surgery‘. It serves as a fascinating and equally morbid insight into the ever changing world of medicine and man’s approach to prolonging life itself.
Via So Bad So Good
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- The Most Impressive Photos From The Ocean Photography Awards 2021 Finalists
- Funny Animal Pics That Just Don’t Make Any Sense, As Shared On This Instagram Account
- Sensual Black and White Portrait Photos of Goldie Hawn Taken by Joseph Klipple in 1964
- There’s an Atmospheric Abandoned Jurassic Park Located in the Heart of Russia
- “Shadows”: The Superb Cinematic, Dark and Melancholic Photoworks of Kaiwan Shaban
- Artist Creates Very Detailed Scary Images And The More You Look, The More Frightening They Become
- Artist Shows Us What Famous Characters Would Look Like In Real Life
- Playfully Illustrated Surfboards By Jean Jullien
- “Empty Home”: The Superb Dark, Surreal and Sci-Fi Artworks of Miko del Rosario
- This Artist Drew These 30 Animals So “Badly”, It Might Be A New Style