Disturbing Vintage Medical Illustrations That Will Shock You
Back in the 19th century (long before any form of multimedia existed) the principles and practices of surgery had to be illustrated to help educate and inform those wishing to forge a career in the medical field. From individual surgical techniques to the types of instruments and devices used – each graphic illustration served as an engrossing and accurate portrayal of the approach and methodology to medicine during that era.
These 19th century depictions of various medical procedures were recently collated and published by medical historian Richard Barnett in his book ‘An Illustrated Treatise on the Principles & Practice of Nineteenth-Century Surgery‘. It serves as a fascinating and equally morbid insight into the ever changing world of medicine and man’s approach to prolonging life itself.
Via So Bad So Good
- Jaw-dropping Aerial Photography By Leah Kennedy
- Artist Re-Reading Damaged Images Of The Virgin Mary Transforming Them Into Icon Characters Of Pop Culture
- “Toy Stories”: Gabriele Galimberti Captures Portraits Of Children And Their Toys Around The World
- 11 Disney Warrior Princesses Turned Badass By Russian Artist Artemii Myasnikov
- Breathtaking Portraits Reveal The Haunting Beauty Of Russian Ballet Dancers By Irina Yakovleva
- Photographer Antti Viitala Stunningly Captured Drone Shots Of The Surfers On South African Beach
- “The Struggle For Utopia”: Everyday Soviet Life In Magnificent Photos By Semyon Friedland
- Impressive Conceptual Architecture And Art Projects By Michael Jantzen
- A Restaurant In Texas Is Putting Up The Funniest Signs Ever
- Studio Schicketanz Have Designed A Modern Dog House With A Green Roof