Disturbing Vintage Medical Illustrations That Will Shock You
Back in the 19th century (long before any form of multimedia existed) the principles and practices of surgery had to be illustrated to help educate and inform those wishing to forge a career in the medical field. From individual surgical techniques to the types of instruments and devices used – each graphic illustration served as an engrossing and accurate portrayal of the approach and methodology to medicine during that era.
These 19th century depictions of various medical procedures were recently collated and published by medical historian Richard Barnett in his book ‘An Illustrated Treatise on the Principles & Practice of Nineteenth-Century Surgery‘. It serves as a fascinating and equally morbid insight into the ever changing world of medicine and man’s approach to prolonging life itself.
Via So Bad So Good
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Heroic and Fantasy Pin-Up Female Portraits by Kyu Yong Eom
- Portraits of Lovely Ladies Featured on the Covers of Radio Control Modeler Magazines From the 1970s and 1980s
- Vintage Photos of Ugly Restaurants in the USA From the Mid-20th Century
- A Photographer Took Glorious Colour Photographs Of London In Early 1970s
- Milo Manara Comic Art You’ve Probably Never Seen
- This Artist Crerates Provocative and Bizarre Photo Manipulations
- This Artist Draws 100 Grumpy Animals
- 50 Times Adults Decided To Have Some Fun In These Museums And Art Galleries
- This Guy Makes 3D Printed Helmets For His Cat
- This Woman Makes Unique Snow Sculptures on Park Trees