This Instagram Account Collects The Saddest-Sounding Places On Earth
There’s a place named Cape Disappointment, in Washington State Park, where fog hangs in the air for 2552 hours a year. But don’t book the flight to see it for yourself just yet—there’s still Mistake Island in Maine, or Canada’s Unfortunate Cove.
A new Instagram account by Australian artist Damien Rudd, @sadtopographies, is collecting Google Map screenshots of the world’s grimmest-sounding places, which makes for an excellent collection of weird travel destinations.
“In Australia, like the US and Canada, there are many depressing place names that are connected to the dark history of early colonialism, and the mishaps of explorers and settlers,” Rudd told Quartz.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- “Art of The Doodler”: Fyodor Dostoevsky Draws In His Manuscripts
- Photos of Mark Frechette and Daria Halprin During the Filming of ‘Zabriskie Point’, 1970
- Designer Problems Turned Into Funny Comics
- Winning Photos Of TDM Street Photography Awards 2021
- French Artist Adds Celebrities Into Classical Paintings
- The Future Imagined in Albert Robida’s “La vie électrique,” 1890
- Japanese Artist Creates Incredible Realistic Intimate Garments from Ceramics
- Weird And Wonderful Illustrated Letters From A 16th Century Songbook
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers