Rare Photographs Of The Dancing Devils Of Liberia
The Liberian dancing devils assume the role of bush devils, spirits that originate from the spiritual world of the ‘Poro’, or ‘bush’. The communities they belong to have long been a part of the culture of certain ethnic groups that constitute present-day Liberia. In the Poro context, the dancing devils are not regarded as evil— they have the ability to inflict punishment on individuals, though this is only used to bring order to society. The devils used to dance only at traditional festivals, though with the arrival of the freed and freeborn American settlers in the 1800s, they brought their dance to imported Christian holiday celebrations such as Christmas. Despite the devils’ ability to adapt, the christian Americans became the ruling class and pushed these unorthodox traditional customs to the underground.
“It is said that if you photograph the Bush Devils (of Liberia), the pictures won’t come out” says British photographer Conor Beary, “whether or not there is any truth to that I don’t know, but I’m not to keen on the initiation process so thought I’d skip that and document the Dancing Devils”.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
More Inspiring Stories On Design You Trust:
- Living La Dolce Vita: Vintage Photos Show How Idyllic Italy Was In The 1980s
- Head Back To The 80s With Chris Mcveigh’s LEGO Retro Desk Kits
- Spanish Designer Fernando Abellanas Works In A Secret Studio Right Under The Bridge
- The Electric State: Simon Stålenhag Comes A New Narrative Artbook About A Girl And Her Robot Traveling West In An Alternate 90s USA
- Can You Spot Yourself In These Designer Stereotypes?
- When Photos Looked Like Paintings: Dreamy Landscape Photographs Taken By Leonard Misonne
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Scary Potter – Terrifying Alternative Posters For The Harry Potter Movies
- Kids Will Be Kids! James Nathaniel Likes To Turn People Into Children By Making Their Heads Bigger.
- The Very Badass Digital Art By Liana Anatolevich
- Illustrator Yaoyao Ma Van As Perfectly Captures The Happiness Of Living Alone
- “Secret Window, Secret Garden”: Dreamlike Photography By Shaina Sterrett
- Art In The Shadows: Artist Damon Belanger Enlivens City With Serendipitous Paintwork
- Craziest Swimsuits To Hit The Beach This Summer
- Beautiful 1980s Portraits Capture The Vibrant Residents Of A Single East Berlin Street
- Japanese Company Releases Line Of ‘Crotch Charms’ For Women To Dangle From Their Swimsuits Between Their Legs
- Artist Jacqueline Mak Takes On Consumerism, Body Politics, Humor, And Eroticism In Raunchy NSWF Collages
- Ohio Youth Of The 1970s – Lovely Photos Of Long-Haired Teenage Girls In Dayton From 1974-75
- Polish Photographer Creates Amazing Slavic Pagan Themed Photoshoot And Proves Slavs Have Amazing Culture
- Photographer Creates Spellbinding Photos Of Meals From Classic Books
- Stunning Construction Photos Of Zaha Hadid Architects’ Leeza SOHO Tower And Its Record-Setting Atrium
- An Imagination That Looks Great On Paper: The Creative Mind Of Lily Seika Jones
- Chinese Artist Creates Creepy Celebrity Portraits Made From Other People’s Faces
- These Weird Clocks Use Human Faces To Display The Time
- Casual NSFW Sculptures Show Women Getting Cozy In Themselves