Banksy Painting ‘Self-Destructs’ Moments After Being Sold In London
In a moment that caught the art world by surprise, Banksy’s Girl with Balloon self-destructed just as the final hammer signaled the end of an evening of auctions in London. The work sold for £1,042,000 ($1.4 million), tying the artist’s record at auction previously achieved in 2008.
The framed work, spray paint and acrylic on canvas, mounted on board depicted a girl reaching out toward a bright red, heart shaped balloon – one of Banksy’s most iconic images – began to pass through a shredder hidden in the frame.
“It appears we just got Banksy-ed,” said Alex Branczik, Senior Director and Head of Contemporary Art, Europe London. The unexpected incident became instant art world folklore and certainly marks the first time in auction history that a work of art automatically shredded itself after coming under the hammer.
More Inspiring Stories:
- “Last Breath”: Amazing Dark Horror, Bizarre And Nightmare Paintings By Oleg Vdovenko
- Fascinating Photos That Capture Everyday Of Oahu Beaches, Hawaii In The Early 1970s
- 100-Year-Old Negatives Discovered In Block Of Ice In Antarctica
- “Beauty Comes In All Sizes!”: Photoshop Artist Jay Tee Changes The Obtuse Point Of View About Beauty Today One Pound At A Time
- People Are Posting ‘Illegal’ Lego Building Techniques And They Are Actually Genius
- This Photographer Spent 10 Years Recording The Post-Soviet Discos Of Lithuania
- Vintage Snapshots Capture People Wearing Sleazy T-Shirts With Profane Slogans In The 1970s
- Moody Animal Puns That Will Remind You That It’s OK To Be Sad
- Photographer Sabrina Boem Beautifully Captured The Monorail Cats
- Commuters Around The World Went Pantless For The Annual “No Pants Subway Ride”