Banksy Painting ‘Self-Destructs’ Moments After Being Sold In London
In a moment that caught the art world by surprise, Banksy’s Girl with Balloon self-destructed just as the final hammer signaled the end of an evening of auctions in London. The work sold for £1,042,000 ($1.4 million), tying the artist’s record at auction previously achieved in 2008.
The framed work, spray paint and acrylic on canvas, mounted on board depicted a girl reaching out toward a bright red, heart shaped balloon – one of Banksy’s most iconic images – began to pass through a shredder hidden in the frame.
“It appears we just got Banksy-ed,” said Alex Branczik, Senior Director and Head of Contemporary Art, Europe London. The unexpected incident became instant art world folklore and certainly marks the first time in auction history that a work of art automatically shredded itself after coming under the hammer.
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- Bizarre Paintings Of Mecha Robots And Werewolves Attacking East European Peasants Of The Early 20th Century
- Stunning Vintage Photos Show The Beauty Of African-American Women From Between 1920s And 1940s
- Abandoned Hotels In The Egyptian Desert May As Well Be On Another Planet
- Plus-Size Woman Asks 21 Photoshop Editors To Make Her Beautiful
- A Shocking Campaign Uses Graphic Images To Point Out The Damage That Plastic Pollution Has On The Ocean’s Wildlife
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master
- “Terminal City”: Extraordinary Photos Of Vancouver 1972-1982
- Anatomical Illustrations Of Japanese Folk Monsters
- 30 Times People Accidentally Created Art
- The Meditative Beauty Of Nighttime In Dreamy Photographs By Neil Kryszak