Banksy Painting ‘Self-Destructs’ Moments After Being Sold In London
In a moment that caught the art world by surprise, Banksy’s Girl with Balloon self-destructed just as the final hammer signaled the end of an evening of auctions in London. The work sold for £1,042,000 ($1.4 million), tying the artist’s record at auction previously achieved in 2008.
The framed work, spray paint and acrylic on canvas, mounted on board depicted a girl reaching out toward a bright red, heart shaped balloon – one of Banksy’s most iconic images – began to pass through a shredder hidden in the frame.
“It appears we just got Banksy-ed,” said Alex Branczik, Senior Director and Head of Contemporary Art, Europe London. The unexpected incident became instant art world folklore and certainly marks the first time in auction history that a work of art automatically shredded itself after coming under the hammer.
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- 40 Times People Thought Their T-Shirts Were Cool But Looked Completely Cringeworthy
- Unknown Artist Creates Amazing Studio Ghibli Anime Character Moss Murals In Countryside
- Heartbreaking Pics Of Aging Dogs Show Them Grow From Puppyhood To Old Age
- Brutally Honest Brand Slogans By Clif Dickens
- This Heartbreaking Sculpture Depicts The 82 Kids That Were Handed Over To The Nazis In The Town Of Lidice Back In 1942
- 6 Illustrations That Sum Up Instagram Perfectly
- Unique Photos Capture A Couple’s Visit To ‘Stranger Things 3’ Filming Locations
- How Do Perceptions Of Beauty Vary Across The Globe?
- Amazing Vintage Photographs Of Cat’s Meat Sellers In London In The Early 20th Century
- Japan’s Abandoned Mines Hint At The Ruins We’ll Leave Behind