Banksy Painting ‘Self-Destructs’ Moments After Being Sold In London
In a moment that caught the art world by surprise, Banksy’s Girl with Balloon self-destructed just as the final hammer signaled the end of an evening of auctions in London. The work sold for £1,042,000 ($1.4 million), tying the artist’s record at auction previously achieved in 2008.
The framed work, spray paint and acrylic on canvas, mounted on board depicted a girl reaching out toward a bright red, heart shaped balloon – one of Banksy’s most iconic images – began to pass through a shredder hidden in the frame.
“It appears we just got Banksy-ed,” said Alex Branczik, Senior Director and Head of Contemporary Art, Europe London. The unexpected incident became instant art world folklore and certainly marks the first time in auction history that a work of art automatically shredded itself after coming under the hammer.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Milo Manara Comic Art You’ve Probably Never Seen
- Fascinating Nostalgic Black and White Photos of Daily Life in Michigan in 1970s and ’80s
- A Beautiful Photo Series of Audi F103
- How To Look Smart In Zoom Meetings, an Illustrated Guide by Sarah Cooper
- The Cute Anime Girls by Illustrator Ryota
- “I Paint Big B”: The Fantasy Beauties of Zumi
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Portraits of Lovely Ladies Featured on the Covers of Radio Control Modeler Magazines From the 1970s and 1980s
- Insidious Goblins, Cute Elves, and Magic: The Gathering Cards – Fantasy Art by Jesper Ejsing
- Artist Cathy Lam Draws The Everyday Lives of the Cuddly Cats