Banksy Painting ‘Self-Destructs’ Moments After Being Sold In London
In a moment that caught the art world by surprise, Banksy’s Girl with Balloon self-destructed just as the final hammer signaled the end of an evening of auctions in London. The work sold for £1,042,000 ($1.4 million), tying the artist’s record at auction previously achieved in 2008.
The framed work, spray paint and acrylic on canvas, mounted on board depicted a girl reaching out toward a bright red, heart shaped balloon – one of Banksy’s most iconic images – began to pass through a shredder hidden in the frame.
“It appears we just got Banksy-ed,” said Alex Branczik, Senior Director and Head of Contemporary Art, Europe London. The unexpected incident became instant art world folklore and certainly marks the first time in auction history that a work of art automatically shredded itself after coming under the hammer.
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- Polish Photographer Creates Amazing Slavic Pagan Themed Photoshoot And Proves Slavs Have Amazing Culture
- Cool Pics That Show People With Technologies In The 80s
- 3D-Printed Paintings Let The Blind “See” Famous Art For The First Time
- 1,400-Year-Old Gingko Tree Sheds a Spectacular Ocean of Golden Leaves
- Japanese Sculptor Shows How He Transforms Wood Into Surreal Sculptures
- “Schoolgirl Nightmares”: Bizarre And Horror Paintings By Kazuhiro Hori
- Old Superheroes: Artist Shows How Superheroes Will Look When They Retire
- U-118, a World War One Submarine Washed Ashore on the Beach at Hastings, England
- Funny And Magnificent Caricature Illustrations By Tiago Hoisel
- McDonalds Opens A Tiny Restaurant For Bees