Banksy Painting ‘Self-Destructs’ Moments After Being Sold In London
In a moment that caught the art world by surprise, Banksy’s Girl with Balloon self-destructed just as the final hammer signaled the end of an evening of auctions in London. The work sold for £1,042,000 ($1.4 million), tying the artist’s record at auction previously achieved in 2008.
The framed work, spray paint and acrylic on canvas, mounted on board depicted a girl reaching out toward a bright red, heart shaped balloon – one of Banksy’s most iconic images – began to pass through a shredder hidden in the frame.
“It appears we just got Banksy-ed,” said Alex Branczik, Senior Director and Head of Contemporary Art, Europe London. The unexpected incident became instant art world folklore and certainly marks the first time in auction history that a work of art automatically shredded itself after coming under the hammer.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Rare Vintage Photos Of The Timberline Lodge, Stanley Kubrick’s Film Inspiration For “The Shining”, In 1921
- The ‘I’m Tired’ Project Tackles Discrimination With Body Art
- “Hollywood In Real Life”: This Instagram Account Is Capturing The Locations Of Famous Hollywood Scenes
- Craftsman Gabriel Dishaw Upcycles Louis Vuitton Bags Into Elaborate ‘Star Wars’ Helmets
- Italian Graphic Designer Emanuele Abrate Perfectly Fixes The ‘World’s Worst Logos’
- Artist Andrei Lacatusu Reduces Tech Giant Brands To Derelict Neon Signs
- Stunning Photos Show What Disney Princesses Would Look Like If They Were African American
- Vintage Photos Of People Wearing Masks During The 1918 Influenza Pandemic, One Of The Deadliest Natural Disasters In Human History
- Cruising Van Nuys Boulevard In The Summer Of 1972 In Stunning Black And White Photos By Rick McCloskey
- Incredible Futuristic-Looking 1939 Duesenberg Coupe Simone Midnight Ghost