Banksy Painting ‘Self-Destructs’ Moments After Being Sold In London
In a moment that caught the art world by surprise, Banksy’s Girl with Balloon self-destructed just as the final hammer signaled the end of an evening of auctions in London. The work sold for £1,042,000 ($1.4 million), tying the artist’s record at auction previously achieved in 2008.
The framed work, spray paint and acrylic on canvas, mounted on board depicted a girl reaching out toward a bright red, heart shaped balloon – one of Banksy’s most iconic images – began to pass through a shredder hidden in the frame.
“It appears we just got Banksy-ed,” said Alex Branczik, Senior Director and Head of Contemporary Art, Europe London. The unexpected incident became instant art world folklore and certainly marks the first time in auction history that a work of art automatically shredded itself after coming under the hammer.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- 50 Times People Took A Photograph And Realized It’s “Accidental Renaissance”
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images
- This Guy Rates Benches All Around The UK And The Reviews Are Spot-On
- Japanese Guy Absolutely Nails Anime Girl Cosplay, from Evangelion to Sailor Moon
- This Man Photoshops Himself Into Series Of Hilarious Scenarios With Celebrities
- Medieval Visions of Hell, Satan, Demons And Cabbalistic Signs From A 1775 Compendium Of Horrors
- Incredible Technologies From The Past That Just Look Odd Today
- Photographer Albert Dros Captures Beautiful Rural Landscapes of the Netherlands
- “Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark”: Stunning Photos of Cassandra Peterson in the 1980s
- Photographer Documents Stay-At-Home Dads And Their Kids In Sweden