Banksy Painting ‘Self-Destructs’ Moments After Being Sold In London
In a moment that caught the art world by surprise, Banksy’s Girl with Balloon self-destructed just as the final hammer signaled the end of an evening of auctions in London. The work sold for £1,042,000 ($1.4 million), tying the artist’s record at auction previously achieved in 2008.
The framed work, spray paint and acrylic on canvas, mounted on board depicted a girl reaching out toward a bright red, heart shaped balloon – one of Banksy’s most iconic images – began to pass through a shredder hidden in the frame.
“It appears we just got Banksy-ed,” said Alex Branczik, Senior Director and Head of Contemporary Art, Europe London. The unexpected incident became instant art world folklore and certainly marks the first time in auction history that a work of art automatically shredded itself after coming under the hammer.
- Google Street Images And Street View Scenes From Slavic Countries
- Artist Imagines What Russian Skies Would Look If They Were In 8-Bit
- Debbie Harry Photographed By Chris Stein For Punk Magazine Centerfold Shoot In 1976
- The World’s Greatest Gallery Of Seductive Carrots
- Man Noticed This Abandoned Hangar But Whats Inside Caught Him By Surprise
- When Photos Looked Like Paintings: Dreamy Landscape Photographs Taken By Leonard Misonne
- Stunning Color Photographs Capture Daily Life In Poland In The Early 1980s
- A Restored Chevrolet Impala In Moscow, Russia
- Pants For Men Only – Penis Pants By Eldridge Cleaver In The 1970s
- These Craftsmen Are Making Stunning Furniture And Art Objects Out Of Parts Of The Soviet And Russian Airplanes And Helicopters