Banksy Painting ‘Self-Destructs’ Moments After Being Sold In London
In a moment that caught the art world by surprise, Banksy’s Girl with Balloon self-destructed just as the final hammer signaled the end of an evening of auctions in London. The work sold for £1,042,000 ($1.4 million), tying the artist’s record at auction previously achieved in 2008.
The framed work, spray paint and acrylic on canvas, mounted on board depicted a girl reaching out toward a bright red, heart shaped balloon – one of Banksy’s most iconic images – began to pass through a shredder hidden in the frame.
“It appears we just got Banksy-ed,” said Alex Branczik, Senior Director and Head of Contemporary Art, Europe London. The unexpected incident became instant art world folklore and certainly marks the first time in auction history that a work of art automatically shredded itself after coming under the hammer.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Amazing Behind the Scenes Photos of Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Terminator, 1984
- This Artist Draws Pictures to Show That Everything Has a Flip Side
- Slinningsbålet: The Battle For The Biggest Bonfire In The World
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Stunning Winning Photos Of Wellcome Photography Prize 2021
- Candid Photographs Captured Prostitution Scenes in Paris in 1966
- Sweet Comics By Luong Thuy Show What Being In A Relationship Is Like
- The Wonder Of Illustrating Perpetual Movement in Space From A 1875 Astronomy Book
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Spectacular Winning Photos Of Minimalist Photography Awards 2021