Banksy Painting ‘Self-Destructs’ Moments After Being Sold In London
In a moment that caught the art world by surprise, Banksy’s Girl with Balloon self-destructed just as the final hammer signaled the end of an evening of auctions in London. The work sold for £1,042,000 ($1.4 million), tying the artist’s record at auction previously achieved in 2008.
The framed work, spray paint and acrylic on canvas, mounted on board depicted a girl reaching out toward a bright red, heart shaped balloon – one of Banksy’s most iconic images – began to pass through a shredder hidden in the frame.
“It appears we just got Banksy-ed,” said Alex Branczik, Senior Director and Head of Contemporary Art, Europe London. The unexpected incident became instant art world folklore and certainly marks the first time in auction history that a work of art automatically shredded itself after coming under the hammer.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Cute Illustrations With the Soviet Mood From Anna Desnitskaya
- John Thomson’s Remarkable Photographs of China from the 1870s
- This Carpet-Covered Lada Is the Most Soviet-Era Car Ever Made
- “Rest in Peace”: The Dark, Nightmarish and Bizarre Drawings by Dima Khramtsov
- Amazing Photos Capture Street Scenes of New York City in the 1990s
- Incredible Winning Images of The Nature Conservancy Australia 2021 Photo Contest
- Spectacular Winning Photos of The Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2021
- The Superb 3D Digital Experimental Artworks by ☽༒༓N3XTgE№BR0K3R༓༒☾
- Amazing Black-and-White Photos of Amsterdam Taken by Dutch Painter George Hendrik Breitner
- This Artist Can Sneak Her Cats Into Any Painting And It’s Hilarious