Phallus Looking Owl Statue Outrages Protests In Serbian City Of Kikinda
Last week he told Belgrade’s Vecernje Novosti daily he was ready to make a differently-shaped statue. Local authorities declined to comment. Zeljko Bodrozic, editor-in-chief of a local newspaper, said the owl monument should remain in place. The protesters say the terracotta statue’s elongated shape and minimalist features are obscene and that it does not look like the town’s famous long-eared owls.
“With all the hype swirling around it … in a way it also becomes a symbol of our city.” Keen bird watcher Dragan Simic said he did not care about the statue. “Kikinda is now famous for its owls … across Europe, even around the world… the bird-watchers are very active, numerous and loyal tourists.”
“This is great,” wrote one. “I just can’t figure out what it reminds me of”.
Others spoke of the “shame” the statue has brought on Kikinda.
“I love owls and I love the city but this sculpture is pure failure,” one person commented.
“Now everyone will make fun of us,” another said.
The statue’s creator, Jovan Blat, has blamed the public for not understanding the meaning behind his “stylised sculpture” with its “elongated, tubular body”.
“It is clear… that everyone does not understand contemporary art,” he told Serbian newspaper Vecernje Novosti, admitting he may have “some technical limitations”.
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- A Great White Shark Preserved In Formaldehyde In An Abandoned Wildlife Park
- This Photographer Took One Family’s Photo In The Same Way Each Year For 23 Years
- Photographer Ask Strangers To Reveal Their Deepest Regrets In Life
- Life Before The Taliban: Photos Show Afghanistan Before It Plunged Into Hell
- Japanese Twitter Falls In Meme Love With Perfectly Timed Photo Of One-Punch Shiba Inu
- 18 Times When People Fixed Their Cars With Creativity Instead Of A Car Service
- 30 Artists’ Tributes To The Iconic Notre-Dame Cathedral
- Please Don’t Step On The Fish! Vietnam’s Unique Flooded Cafe
- An Instagram Account Dedicated To Learning Basic French Through Beautiful Typography
- 30 Of The Most Epic 3D Tattoos