Phallus Looking Owl Statue Outrages Protests In Serbian City Of Kikinda
Last week he told Belgrade’s Vecernje Novosti daily he was ready to make a differently-shaped statue. Local authorities declined to comment. Zeljko Bodrozic, editor-in-chief of a local newspaper, said the owl monument should remain in place. The protesters say the terracotta statue’s elongated shape and minimalist features are obscene and that it does not look like the town’s famous long-eared owls.
“With all the hype swirling around it … in a way it also becomes a symbol of our city.” Keen bird watcher Dragan Simic said he did not care about the statue. “Kikinda is now famous for its owls … across Europe, even around the world… the bird-watchers are very active, numerous and loyal tourists.”
“This is great,” wrote one. “I just can’t figure out what it reminds me of”.
Others spoke of the “shame” the statue has brought on Kikinda.
“I love owls and I love the city but this sculpture is pure failure,” one person commented.
“Now everyone will make fun of us,” another said.
The statue’s creator, Jovan Blat, has blamed the public for not understanding the meaning behind his “stylised sculpture” with its “elongated, tubular body”.
“It is clear… that everyone does not understand contemporary art,” he told Serbian newspaper Vecernje Novosti, admitting he may have “some technical limitations”.
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- Asian Drivers Are Using Terrifying Reflective Decals On Rear Windows To Fight Against High-Beam Users
- Panoramic Photos That Went Horribly Wrong
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images
- Famous Classic Album Covers Mashed Up With Star Wars Characters
- Cool Pics Of 20 Great ’80s Classic Cars That Time Forgot
- “Youth Gone Wild”: Stunning Photos Of The Russian Underground Dance Culture
- The Sky Swimming Pool At This Hotel Has A Window In It
- This Man And His Cat Recreate Famous Movie Scenes And It’s Amazing!
- Ed Gein Style Horror Jacket Is The Most Terrifying Jacket Ever
- A Photographer Travels Across India To Show How Beautiful And Diverse Local People Are, And We’re Mesmerized