“Stage Of Forest”: Futuristic Ski Resort Lookout By Meta-Project
“Stage of Forest” is a lookout and public space situated on a hillside between a forest and the ski slope at the Songhua Lake Resort of Jilin, China. Beijing-based firm Meta-Project was responsible for the project.
The site is surrounded by luscious greenery in summer and covered by an overwhelming white snow in winter. As is a delicate site for a ‘Land(scape) Mark’, one whose indefinite programming demands a careful degree of deliberation. The location and triangle shape of the ‘stage’ was only determined after precise examination and deduction of the site condition, to minimize the impact for the existing vegetation and to maximize the view on the platform. While sitting on the hill, it is facing the Songhua lake at a distance, who is famous for the rime in its surrounding areas.
The building combined rough materiality with its sensuous form. Seen from afar, the ‘stage’ is a dark, free-floating monolith in the landscape, with a heavy concrete ‘base’. Come closer, the reflection on the charred cedar shingles (Shou-Sugi-Ban) becomes faintly perceptible – even turns silvery with the changing angle of sunlight. After one meandering through the forest boardwalk and finally arriving in front of it, the chapped surface of the shingles and the wood texture of the cast concrete become tangible.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Amazing Behind the Scenes Photos of Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Terminator, 1984
- This Artist Draws Pictures to Show That Everything Has a Flip Side
- Sweet Comics By Luong Thuy Show What Being In A Relationship Is Like
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- The Wonder Of Illustrating Perpetual Movement in Space From A 1875 Astronomy Book
- Slinningsbålet: The Battle For The Biggest Bonfire In The World
- Spectacular Winning Photos Of Minimalist Photography Awards 2021
- Candid Photographs Captured Prostitution Scenes in Paris in 1966
- Stunning Winning Photos Of Wellcome Photography Prize 2021
- Absolutely Superb Ground Meat Sculptures by Kieran Gormley