“Il Gigante”: The Statue Of The Giant Neptune In Italian Village
Monterosso del Mare is probably the largest of the Cinque Terre villages in Italy. Since its founding in early 13th century, the village functioned as a cultural and political centre of the region and its status required proper protection.
Until today, the intricate and very efficient system of fortifications prevails; these were originally built to ward off pirates. Yet another – more or less symbolic – protector dominates the bay. Il Gigante, as locals call it, is a statue of Neptune, the Sea God, created at the beginning of 20th century as a lavish decoration of Villa Pastine.
The Neptune was built by a Jewish Italian sculptor, Arrigo Minerbi of Ferrara in 1910. Made from concrete and iron, the giant 14-metre statue has suffered a great deal in its 100-year existence. Monterosso del Mare was bombed during WW II and Il Gigante lost his arms, trident and a giant seashell.
Sadly, nature took its toll as well as the statue suffered further damage in the 1960s due to rough seas and strong winds. Nevertheless, Neptune is still standing strong and visitors to the Fegina Beach cannot help but admire his slightly damaged magnificence.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Wearing Futuristic Protective Suits, Washington State Crews Destroy First US Murder Hornet Nest
- Beautiful Bizarre: Weird and Wonderful Post-Mortem Fairy Tales by Mothmeister
- “Porn Fashions”: Obscenely Tasteless Apparel From 1980s Adult Magazines
- The Winners of the Luminar Bug Photography Awards 2020 Have Just Been Announced
- Unusual Maps People Shared On This Group That Might Change Your Perspective On Things
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- “Wear Mask. Save Live”: Borat Had Made Hilarious Appearances on Major Landmarks Across the UK
- Artist Raises Thousands for Charity with Hilarious Pet Portraits
- Austria Postal Service Prints Coronavirus-Themed Stamp on Toilet Paper
- Photographer Chrissy Sparks Transforms Ordinary Women Into Glamorous Pin-Ups